Question Top quarter of screen flickers black

Jonnyzord

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Had my PC for a few years, just upgraded to a 3080ti, and sometimes when I am playing games the top quarter of the screen will randomly flicker. Can't reproduce it and it's irregular. Not sure what's causing it? Did a clean install of windows before installing the GPU. It isn't overclocked, haven't changed anything else out, just the card so I would presume it's something to do with it. Any help and assistance would be wonderful. Thank you for your time and will reply near-instantly to messages.

I have searched and had a look around for similar problems but I'm only seeing entire screen flickers, but mines is just the top quarter.

Used DDU and changed a bunch of different settings to no avail.

Jonnyzord

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Sounds like a factory defect.
Did your GPU come with warranty?
It's only in certain games it will do it though. It never does it on the desktop or certain other games. I bought the card off of someone and got the receipt and invoice ect when I bought it. It used to happen to me before on a 2070 Super, also.

Last edited:

Jonnyzord

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Had my PC for a few years, just upgraded to a 3080ti, and sometimes when I am playing games the top quarter of the screen will randomly flicker. Can't reproduce it and it's irregular. Not sure what's causing it? Did a clean install of windows before installing the GPU. It isn't overclocked, haven't changed anything else out, just the card so I would presume it's something to do with it. Any help and assistance would be wonderful. Thank you for your time and will reply near-instantly to messages.

I have searched and had a look around for similar problems but I'm only seeing entire screen flickers, but mines is just the top quarter.

Used DDU and changed a bunch of different settings to no avail.

Lutfij

Titan
Keep thoughts on one thread. Multiple threads are a no-no./

As for your thread, if the specs to your build are in your sig space, please find it in your heart to parse the specs to your build in your thread's body. Why? Sig space specs can and will change over time and when that happens the suggestions made on this thread will be rendered moot to the person in the same boat as you.

Please include the age of the PSU in your build. Any overclocks for your build in question? Running your ram at 3200MHz, is considered an overclock on rams. What GPU were you on prior to the RTX3080Ti? What By clean install, did you recreate your bootable installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools? Are you using a daisy chain for the PCIe power input on the card?

I bought the card off of someone and got the receipt and invoice ect when I bought it.
So it's second hand, can you verify how long the card was used by the prior owner?

Jonnyzord

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2013
Keep thoughts on one thread. Multiple threads are a no-no./

As for your thread, if the specs to your build are in your sig space, please find it in your heart to parse the specs to your build in your thread's body. Why? Sig space specs can and will change over time and when that happens the suggestions made on this thread will be rendered moot to the person in the same boat as you.

Please include the age of the PSU in your build. Any overclocks for your build in question? Running your ram at 3200MHz, is considered an overclock on rams. What GPU were you on prior to the RTX3080Ti? What By clean install, did you recreate your bootable installer for Windows 10 using Windows Media Creation Tools? Are you using a daisy chain for the PCIe power input on the card?

I bought the card off of someone and got the receipt and invoice ect when I bought it.
So it's second hand, can you verify how long the card was used by the prior owner?

Apologies. Was just frustrated that I wasn't getting any replies.

Specs are:

CPU- AMD 3700x 3.9Ghz OC
MOBO- ROG Strix B350-F
RAM- 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 OC
GPU- RTX 3080ti FE
PSU-Seasonic Focus 850
Monitors- Dell S2716DG 144hz
LG Ultrawide monitor 60Hz

PSU was bought in January to accommodate the increased wattage draw from the PSU I was getting. CPU and RAM are overclocked. Did overclock the GPU and CPU to benchmark it, have changed the GPU back to stock. Before the 3080ti I had a 2070 Super that, at the beginning of purchasing it, did the same thing, funnily enough. Installed windows via media creation bootable USB, ran through, deleted all partitions, and installed windows brand new again. Running the power cable directly from the PSU to the splitter provided with the GPU.

The card I bought was a brand new, sealed in-box. I opened the seal when I purchased it so the prior owner didn't use it whatsoever.

Did you try a different video cable / video port / monitor or TV?

The problem is quite hard to replicate as mentioned prior before. It's mostly Valorant, CS: Go, League of legends that the problem occurs with. Have used different display ports in my GPU. It's only the Dell that has the problem I believe, but mind you I don't really game on my LG, it's just a viewing monitor for google chrome, discord ect. I can try gaming on my TV but again, not sure how to recreate the problem, it's just random every 5 minutes or so. Highly doubt it's the Wires or monitor though. There's probably a setting I need to change somewhere that I ain't aware of at this time.

Went through the Nvidia control panel and changed a few settings in there to no avail. All control panel power management settings are AMD high performance and I have everything updated and x box game bar off.

Going to re-seat the GPU/RAM now to see if that helps but I have already done so once before.