Question Top slot wont work but bottom does on MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShanRoxAlot

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
The EZ debug light for VGA goes off anytime the gpu is plugged in the top slot (16x) over the bottom (4x).

Not sure if its relevant but
  • the motherboard fan arrived with the spring and ball bearing just laying inside the fan. I had to put the spring and bearing onto the fan axle and reinsert it.
  • CPU power 2 is unplugged as I dont have a another 4+4 at the moment
R7 5800x
g.skillz neo 3800mhz 14ms
CX750M PSU
GTX 1080

Last edited:

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
What GPU do you have ?
A few people have posted here recently about that same issue with an RTX 3000 GPU paired with an AMD 5000 series CPU.
It seems that a BIOS update may be needed to fix this issue.
The problem seems to happen because the top slot uses PCI-E lanes from the CPU and the bottom slot gets them from the chipset.

You could try setting the PCI-E to 3.0 (instead of Auto or 4.0) in the BIOS and then try the GPU in the top slot that may work for now.
That's what the user here did:
(1) Question - RTX 3080s have to output? Please help! | Tom's Hardware Forum

ShanRoxAlot

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
What GPU do you have ?
A few people have posted here recently about that same issue with an RTX 3000 GPU paired with an AMD 5000 series CPU.
It seems that a BIOS update may be needed to fix this issue.
The problem seems to happen because the top slot uses PCI-E lanes from the CPU and the bottom slot gets them from the chipset.

You could try setting the PCI-E to 3.0 (instead of Auto or 4.0) in the BIOS and then try the GPU in the top slot that may work for now.
That's what the user here did:
(1) Question - RTX 3080s have to output? Please help! | Tom's Hardware Forum
I use a GTX 1080. Ill try your fix. Even if it works should I RMA the mobo, or is this an issue with all mobos that I have to live with?

Also, I am on the latest non-beta BIOS

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
I would like to think that they would fix this issue in a future BIOS version.
But that is something Only the MSI BIOS team can confirm.

You could RMA the board But that is not a guarantee that this issue will be any different until they address it in the BIOS.

ShanRoxAlot

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
I would like to think that they would fix this issue in a future BIOS version.
But that is something Only the MSI BIOS team can confirm.

You could RMA the board But that is not a guarantee that this issue will be any different until they address it in the BIOS.
I tried setting PCI_E generation setting from [auto] to gen 3 and it didnt work

Dec 23, 2020
Ok I'm so glad I found this thread I feel like I was going crazy. I have that exact same board with the exact same issue. I RMA'd the board a few weeks ago and just got it back, it's doing the EXACT same thing it was doing before I sent it out. I haven't had a chance to try this yet but I'm going to switch my PCIe 4.0 Nvme to the bottom slot, as I think this may be an issue where the SSD and the GPU are fighting over Pcie lanes from the CPU.

Now that I RMA'ed and still getting the same issue I think this might be a Bios problem, the weird thing is it was working just fine for 2 months before it started doing this, so I'm at a loss for this. Do you happen to have a PCIe Nvme in the top slot above your GFX card?? I'm using a 2080ti

Guapoo

Reputable
Dec 19, 2016
Did anyone figure this one out? I am having the same issue in my b550 tomahawk using a Ryzen 5 5600x with a GTX 1070. Ive updated BIOS, built outside the case and still no luck.

Im worried that when I get the replacement mobo that ill have the same issue...

Feb 19, 2021
I just wanted to add to this thread because I am having the same issue with almost the exact same parts.

5600x
RTX 3070
MSI MAG b550 Tomahawk

My old parts were

Ryzen 2600
RX Vega 64
ASUS Rog Swift B450-f

So I bought the 5600x first, updated my b450 bios the correct way, and went to start it up. Had no display in the top PCI slot with the vega 64. VGA light was on on the motherboard. I tried an R9 390 and it also did not work. Both cards, the Vega 64 and 390 worked in the bottom slot. I put back in my 2600 and both cards worked in all slots. I thought maybe my Motherboard just didn't like the new CPU so I bought the b550.

Same problem with this brand new board. Top slot didn't work for the vega with the 5600x (updated bios first thing). All slots worked with the 2600.

Bought the 3070 because I wanted to upgrade anyway, put it in tonight and no top slot display, VGA light on.

So, my conclusion is either some funky complication between the bios and parts OR the CPU has a bad PCI lane. I was going to RMA the CPU but i'm seeing more and more of the same issues and don't want to be without it for 3+ weeks.

The most likely problem is the CPU in my opinion but I know it's very rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.