[SOLVED] Top tier gaming pc boots for over a minute

Impu7se

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
So, it has been really worsening lately. I have a top tier gaming pc.
Rtx 2080
I9-9900k
16gb 3200mhz ddr4
2x TB hdd
1x 500gb hdd
1x ssd - 250gb (also the boot drive)

When I just built the pc, It booted in abt 20s. Nowadays it boots for over a minute. Restarts for 3. What can be the reason for it to get so slow on restarts & boot ups? My C drive is relatively empty with 88 Gb free space. Other drives have around 200GB free space.

I forgot to add that I've disabled most unnecessary programs from running on boot up.

Solution
What Colif didn't mention is that Windows 10 is unlike other prior versions. This particular version is as bad as Apple products, it wants to hog everything, claim everything unto itself.

That means when installing windows, it's seriously advised to physically unplug All other drives, or windows will treat all the drives as if they are C: . C:/ssd could very well be the boot drive, but the information and files might be stored on d:/hdd, and at boot c: pulls the info from D: into c:/cache and then proceeds to boot.

It's a cra*tastic way to do things, but the W10 library system makes it happen that way. Just as Steam main files are under C:/program files (x86) yet my entire library collection is on D:/steam apps, yet any in game...

Impu7se

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
How old are the drives?
Or should i ask for the model of them?
Unplugg all of the usb ports, leave just the monitor and the powercable plugged in, see if it makes a difference.
The ssd was bought when the pc was built (late 2019)
Two 2tb drives were bought in 2020.
The 500GB drive was bought used and is significantly the most used one. (I checked on crystaldick)

I'll try to boot the pc with only monitor.

Reactions: Dj0gany
Mar 23, 2021
So, it has been really worsening lately. I have a top tier gaming pc.
Rtx 2080
I9-9900k
16gb 3200mhz ddr4
2x TB hdd
1x 500gb hdd
1x ssd - 250gb (also the boot drive)

When I just built the pc, It booted in abt 20s. Nowadays it boots for over a minute. Restarts for 3. What can be the reason for it to get so slow on restarts & boot ups? My C drive is relatively empty with 88 Gb free space. Other drives have around 200GB free space.

I forgot to add that I've disabled most unnecessary programs from running on boot up.
are you sure its booting on the ssd

Any failing hard drive can severely lengthen boot times, as assorted hard drive's contents are inventoried/indexed during boot up...

DIsconnect hard drives one at a time and see if quick boot times are restored... (check CrystalDiskInfo stats on all drives)

Impu7se

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
The ssd was bought when the pc was built (late 2019)
Two 2tb drives were bought in 2020.
The 500GB drive was bought used and is significantly the most used one. (I checked on crystaldick)

I'll try to boot the pc with only monitor.
I tried booting it without usbs & it took 42 sec
Then I tried booting it with usbs & it took the same 42 sec.

Impu7se

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
Any failing hard drive can severely lengthen boot times, as assorted hard drive's contents are inventoried/indexed during boot up...

DIsconnect hard drives one at a time and see if quick boot times are restored... (check CrystalDiskInfo stats on all drives)
CrystalDiskInfo says that all drives' health is in good condition

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What Colif didn't mention is that Windows 10 is unlike other prior versions. This particular version is as bad as Apple products, it wants to hog everything, claim everything unto itself.

That means when installing windows, it's seriously advised to physically unplug All other drives, or windows will treat all the drives as if they are C: . C:/ssd could very well be the boot drive, but the information and files might be stored on d:/hdd, and at boot c: pulls the info from D: into c:/cache and then proceeds to boot.

It's a cra*tastic way to do things, but the W10 library system makes it happen that way. Just as Steam main files are under C:/program files (x86) yet my entire library collection is on D:/steam apps, yet any in game snapshots go to D:/photos.

I have 1 nvme. No other drives. Just 1 physical drive for everything. Windows install setup 3 partitions. 3. 500Mb is listed as B: volume #0, that's the rescue CAB files etc. Volume #1 is C, and volume #2 is non-lettered 100Mb that contains All the boot info except for what's contained within Windows. It's the GPT info, or in some cases the MBR info. There's nothing saying that the actual boot info must be in that particular partition, if I had multiple drives, it's entirely possible the addressing is in fact on a physically seperate drive, libraried there by the windows install.

Win10 is best installed first, complete with updates and all other Windows necessities. Once fully installed, only then plug the data cables for the other drives and download Steam or whatever games or other media installs etc. Windows will then treat the other drives as seperate entities, additional storage, not as part of Windows storage itself.

I'd start with ccleaner, clean up all temp files and associated stuff. Run malwarebytes and then anti-virus, they are 2 different things. Then run the ccleaner registry tool in default (say Yes to backup). That'll take care of cleaning out orphans and conflicting/dead end addresses from the boot procedure. Then run ccleaner again.

That'll start you out with a clean/healthy windows boot, then see what happens.

Last edited:
Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
if bios is pointing at the ssd, then the boot sector is on the ssd, so my idea didn't really help. Its possible the recovery partition might be on another drive but that shouldn't slow down boot times.

what brand is the ssd?

have you tried booting with just ssd attached? I mean, unplug other drives and see if it makes any difference?
slow boots can be hdd or the PC could be waiting for hardware to answer, and if it doesn't it waits.
try a minimal start, no gpu, 1 stick of ram, ssd
Need to see if its hardware slowing boot.

Are you using fast boot?
That feature writes a simple file after a successful boot that contains the windows image.
On a boot, that file is read into ram much more quickly than loading individual components.

Why are you booting anyway?
Try sleep (no hibernate) instead. Sleep puts the pc and monitor into a very low power state similar to full power off. sleep/wake then are only a handful of seconds.