[SOLVED] Top-Tier PC: Buy now or wait?

sdz2

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2013
I plan to purchase a new top-tier computer soon to use for the next 8+ years. I'll likely buy from iBuyPower, with lots of customization options.

It will dual boot:
(1) Gentoo Linux (lots of multi-core compiling) and
(2) Windows gaming (4k at 60 fps)

For CPU, I have not yet decided: Intel or AMD.

For GPU, I have not yet decided Nvidia or AMD.

Is now a good time to buy OR should I wait a few months for the release of a major architecture upgrade: CPU, RAM spec, GPU, motherboard arch, etc?

Please advise.

Solution
I plan to purchase a new top-tier computer soon to use for the next 8+ years. I'll likely buy from iBuyPower, with lots of customization options.

It will dual boot:

Is now a good time to buy OR should I wait a few months for the release of a major architecture upgrade: CPU, RAM spec, GPU, motherboard arch, etc?

Please advise.
I take these so called 'leaks' with a grain of salt but it might be worth waiting a month to see what these chips can do. Also worth noting is the Nvdia RTX cards should be available by then...

It will dual boot:

Please advise.
I take these so called 'leaks' with a grain of salt but it might be worth waiting a month to see what these chips can do. Also worth noting is the Nvdia RTX cards should be available by then.

Solution

N3wb13g

Honorable
Mar 2, 2017
If you're planning not to upgrade, or just a little upgrade in the future. Go for AMD, while Intel (usually) do some new socket for new gen processor, meaning new motherboard for the newer gen Intel.

For GPU, if you want to stay easier, go for Nvidia. If you like to do some tweak or solve its problems yourself, take AMD GPU, they says it save some money but different place had different price tho.

Handelo

Reputable
Dec 14, 2016
Now's a bad time to buy, not because of new hardware releases coming but because of severe stock shortages of both CPUs and GPUs. In fact, if it weren't for the shortages now would be a great time to buy, both AMD and Nvidia have outdone themselves with amazing performance uplifts with the latest generation parts.
Word is shortages should end some time next month or maybe early February, so keep your ear to the ground.

Reactions: N3wb13g

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
if you can get a 5600x or 5800x near MSRP its a great time to do it, they wont be coming down much any time soon bar the january sales, and i doubt they will be discounted, the guys with them will be counting their blessings just to have stock. Some good retailers wont go far from MSRP, if you are in the UK currys stick to things pretty nice (no stock tho), EU mindfactory.de has stock at close to MSRP €339 snap them up if you can, Iv seen the 10600k on sale tho already online here too, but if I was thinking of going intel I think id wait for the 11th gen to drop, you dont wanna see them hitting that extra 10% IPC they are aiming for at the current 5.2ghz, i mean if they can do that its gonna make the AMD's rethink their prices but idk, im in the same boat, shopping cart is full but 2 items are out of stock, so ill be waiting anyway im gonna wait see what happens over the next week or 2 atleast, im in no rush. if i repeat that often enough i might start believing myself :D

if you can get a 5600x or 5800x near MSRP its a great time to do it, they wont be coming down much any time soon bar the january sales, and i doubt they will be discounted, the guys with them will be counting their blessings just to have stock. Some good retailers wont go far from MSRP, if you are in the UK currys stick to things pretty nice (no stock tho), EU mindfactory.de has stock at close to MSRP €339 snap them up if you can, Iv seen the 10600k on sale tho already online here too, but if I was thinking of going intel I think id wait for the 11th gen to drop, you dont wanna see them hitting that extra 10% IPC they are aiming for at the current 5.2ghz, i mean if they can do that its gonna make the AMD's rethink their prices but idk, im in the same boat, shopping cart is full but 2 items are out of stock, so ill be waiting anyway im gonna wait see what happens over the next week or 2 atleast, im in no rush. if i repeat that often enough i might start believing myself :D
Ebuyer has had stock of 5800X for a few days now for £440

Reactions: Obiwancanabi

TRENDING THREADS