Torbutton install ?

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Gents:

Eventually one must act rather than read. Having manually followed the on-site instructions vis' UBUNTU to install the Deb TOR packages I discover ...

https://www.torproject.org/docs/tor-doc-unix.html.en

... at the very end that I should have instead installed some creature called the TOR-Bundle. Lusr is **WARNED AGAINST** the last listed step, trying to install the TOR button ... whatever that is...

The installation of the DEB packages and "keyring(???)" proceeded without issue. What are the consequences of trying/failing to install TOR-button whatever that is and where-ever it goes? It's not clear to me how I match up TOR/TOR-button to any browser. Any comments appreciated.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
Gents:

Finally success! Evidently no TOR-button install required. (Vidalia perhaps also not needed.?) Instead after **downloading ** and installing TOR , you just open a second workspace, call up the terminal and type:

chromium-browser --proxy-
server=socks://localhost:9050

UB-TORED!! Checked IPs in CHROME against an unTORED FireFox and they are different. Checked TOR-site and TORRing validated. WooHoo. Chrome.browser pops up with the TOR button gleaming green. Vidalia gui also reports TOR connected, but that's after-the-fact. I don't know how they are connected, or how to automagically have some browser (like Firefox or Opera) "TORed" when you boot-up or what you are supposed to use Vidalia for at all?

There might be a reason (speed/tracking...)to reserve **one** browser for TOR-only activity.

This is funny: I could-NOT find TOR in the Ubuntu libraries, but I have had Ubuntu **upgrade** TOR twice since I installed it using apt-get from Debian. But, then again I might just be confused. For me the entire experience has been bizarre for a program that's supposed to "foozle" bad-guys and Gub'mnt BLACKBOOTS like goose-stepping bytchdyke Nepolitano ...

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
These strange days require strange associations my friend. If you remember ...

'come a dealing with a bytefull
she's pimping from the corner of her eye.
But you can tell by the shine on her shoes
she's working for the FBI ...'

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
I checked the **TAILS** website. Some sort of shell? It's not clear to me what it does extra that asserting TOR does not do.

Perhaps it automagically configures any browser into the TOR-mode. Now, I only have the two-line script the conjures CHROME into TOR-mode, but don't know how to configure Firefox/Opera proxy-settings.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
One step for'ard ... to **engage** TOR I learned to change proxy-setting inside the browser ... kinda like my ol' Win95 fav PROXOMITRON, but changing one-browser seems to force **all** browsers into the TOR mode whether their internal settings have been changed or not.

Still seems awkward that TOR may be running (started) without TOR browser behavior, until the browser settings gets "tickled". I see 4*N states where N= number of different browsers and 4 = T+B+/T+B-/T-B+/T-B- .... not I'm afraid the brightest bulb in the anon. lamp shop.

anthonyorr

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
TAILS acts as a live CD OS. Burn TAILS to a CD reboot your PC and TAILS will launch (Boot order CDROM first) and look like you have a completely different OS. It is the easiest and safest way to run TOR.

nss000

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
To give credit for TORing made easy:

http://goshawknest.wordpress.com/2012/04/03/how-to-easily-set-up-tor-in-your-ubuntu-desktop/

His 2-line terminal script:

chromium-browser --proxy-
server=socks://localhost:9050

TRENDING THREADS