Torn Between MSI Gaming 970 and EVGA SSC version

gamesturbator

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
The 100m verson comes with the backplate and is $350 on Newegg http:// The EVGA SSC is $340 at Walmart http://.

I like the cooling setup of the MSI but the EVGA seems to be the stronger card. So looking for pros and cons of each one from those who have experience with these. Thanks.

Solution
$20 difference? That is the actual price of a backplate so you wouldn't be paying too much. Get the GTX 970 if you play lots of games, it'll be worth it in the long run.

The EVGA ACX 2.0 cooler fans are loud. Once you go above 30% (1300RPM), the fan is audible but its not too loud. Bump it to 35% (1500RPM approx), you can definitely hear it. 40% will run it at 1770RPM and that would be the max fan speed I can handle. and 50% pushes it to 2220 RPM. And apparently 100% is 4200RPM which hopefully you don't need, sounds like a jet engine.
Note this is already in a Define R5 with all the ModuVent covers still attached.

Personally, I don't like the default fan profile. At idle/low loads I keep it at 10% fan speed until 40C when it will increase until 40% fan speed at 60C.

gamesturbator

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
Just wondering if Id be paying too much for the MSI 100ME version when I can have the other MSI gaming card for $329 though it lacks the backplate http://

The GTX 960 4GB comes out Mar 23rd so wondering if anyone knows what the price is going to be for those? I have read that the memory bus is radically different from prior technology so the 128bit issue may not actually be that much of an issue.

Headed off to bed but I'll check out the thread when I wake up.

Vici0us

Reputable
Mar 29, 2014
$20 difference? That is the actual price of a backplate so you wouldn't be paying too much. Get the GTX 970 if you play lots of games, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Solution

xxxlun4icexxx

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

I wouldn't worry about the sag. I'd only worry about that if you had multiple cards in SLI and you were worried about the fans hitting the bottom gpu. You'd think if the heat-sink was that heavy where it'd cause possible issues from sagging, they'd need to include a back-plate with it by default.

I took the back-plates off of my gigabyte cards and I have not had an issue. I have really yet to see them sag much at all, and they are at 80C sometimes during heavy gaming.

Don't worry about that part

gamesturbator

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2014
Well, I decided to get the MSI GTX 970 Gaming 100ME. B&H has it for $349. Comes with a big ole mousepad from what I read (not that I ever use them but it's cool to have for bragging rights). Being MSI I'd imagine the material is superb vs stuff like Belkin makes. Problem is I have a monkey who chews on EVERYTHING (destroyed my TrackIR) and he is fast, sneaky and stealthy. I'll see how long the mousepad lasts LOL Anyway, I now have $50 to get me to the end of the month. I win!

Edit: Ah, man, I somehow didn't notice it only has 1 display port. Not too late to cancel the order but I'm only planning on 1 monitor.