Question Torn between these memory modules

QVL is useless, at best, in ANY case, for ANY board. I'm not even going to harbor a discussion about that because it's been gone over literally hundreds of times here these past five years. QVL is meaningless when it comes to ANY memory module that is intended to be run at a speed higher than the JEDEC standards allow for, REGARDLESS that high speed models are shown on the QVL.

The ONLY thing that represents is the fact that a given module, say, DDR4 3200mhz, WILL run on that board. It does NOT, NOT, NOT, I don't know how many times we have to keep going over this before people understand, but it does not mean those or any specific sticks will run AT the advertised speed just because the kit is listed on the QVL list. Seeing a DDR4 3200mhz model on any boards QVL list only indicates that kit will for certain be compatible and run on the board, at the default speed, whatever that may be for that board and CPU. So ignore the QVL list unless you are ONLY looking for memory that has 2133mhz (For Ryzen) or 2666mhz or lower (For 8th and 9th gen Intel. 2400mhz for 7th gen Intel. 2133mhz for 6th gen Intel. And so on.) or if you just want to know if a specific kit has been verified for compatibility on a given board and don't care if it can actually run at the advertised speed or not.

That is not to say that kits listed on the QVL "can't" run at the advertised speed, it is only meant to indicate that being listed there is not verification that it WILL run at the advertised speed.

If they are above the default speed, the QVL is an assurance of nothing.

For YOUR system, and that rant was not directed at you, ANY DDR4 3000 or 3200mhz sticks with CL14 (CAS 14) latency are going to be B-die sticks and I have yet to see ANY set of B-die sticks not run on a Ryzen or TR platform. For the most part, just about ANY halfway decent memory will run on Ryzen these days as they compatibility has been greatly improved through BIOS updates over the last year or so.

I'd still stick to verified sticks, known high end models or models known to have B-die ICs though, just to be safe. Those sticks at 3000mhz, do.

And to be clear, the difference in performance between a CL14 DDR4 3000 mhz kit and a CL16 DDR4 3200mhz kit is nominal. I'd prefer the CL14 kit myself. If you can get a 3200mhz kit with CL14 timings, so much the better.

These are not "twice the price". They are like twenty bucks more than those other kits and are both 3200mhz AND CL14.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£275.79 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £275.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-05-14 02:56 BST+0100

Last edited:
Reactions: finwizz
True latency is what you should be worried about. Faster sticks don't necessarily mean faster performance, if the latency penalty exceeds the benefit.

1 / Frequency (not DDR) x Latency = True Latency (nanoseconds).

Stock 3200 @ 14 is faster than Stock 3600 @ 16:

1 / 1.600GHz x 14 = 8.75nS
1 / 1.800GHz x 16 = 8.89nS

Stable Overclock with 3733 @ 16 is faster:

3733 @ 16 is 1 / 1.867GHz x 16 = 8.57nS

Reactions: finwizz

TRENDING THREADS