Torn Between Two Processors and Motherboards

Dec 31, 2018
Hi I am about to upgrade from an i5 4460 to, well I cant decide.
I am torn between the i5 9600k and i7 9700k (i dont want to switch to ryzen, i would like to stick with this lineup) and i just dont know which is more bang for my buck since ive heard that the peformance in gaming is slight and not worth the extra $140.

I am also having trouble deciding on which motherboard i would get for the processor and these are my top two choices
Gigabyte AORUS PRO Wi-Fi Z390 ATX Motherboard (I cant use ethernet because im not close to the router) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HRZKPXM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_mgVlCb64PFD3P

And the ASUS Prime Z390-A ATX Motherboard (I would have to buy a separate wi-fi adapter to use) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HCY7K9L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vhVlCb73PFGMH

For my GPU i already have a EVGA GTX 1070Ti SC and for now i will be playing with Standard 1080p/60hz but I may upgrade to 1440p/144hz in the distant future. I mainly play titles like Call of Duty, Battlefield, PUBG, Escape From Tarkov, GTA V, and games like Fallout, Skyrim, and Doom.

Solution
The performance is indeed not too different but there is a factor of longevity related here. Where the 9600k can give you 4-5yrs, the 9700k can give you another couple of years easily. Now, if that extra longevity is worth the $140 to you, then you should go for it. Otherwise, the 9600k is pretty sufficient for now.
The inbuilt wifi module of most motherboards is usually more robust than aft cards/dongles. And when you purchase a wifi module separately, the total cost will usually round up to the cost of the integrated wifi board. So, the Gigabyte board should be more value for you. Another good board you can consider is the Asus Strix E Gaming.
The performance is indeed not too different but there is a factor of longevity related here. Where the 9600k can give you 4-5yrs, the 9700k can give you another couple of years easily. Now, if that extra longevity is worth the $140 to you, then you should go for it. Otherwise, the 9600k is pretty sufficient for now.
The inbuilt wifi module of most motherboards is usually more robust than aft cards/dongles. And when you purchase a wifi module separately, the total cost will usually round up to the cost of the integrated wifi board. So, the Gigabyte board should be more value for you. Another good board you can consider is the Asus Strix E Gaming.

Solution
Dec 31, 2018

Thank you for the input! I think im going to go with the i5 9600k and Gigabyte motherboard then, but i have to ask is the motherboard’s bios really that bad for overclocking because that is another reason i was torn between them is because I also hear that the overclocking is way better on Asus motherboards.