Question Torrent Speed too low though network same

goluthakle

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
Hi, i replaced a few months ago my ageing d-link dir 615 300mbps router with a tenda F3 300mbps router. Now i noticed that my torrent download speed has fallen significantly, earlier i used to get 10.4 mbps constant downloading big files with 3000+ seeders & 1000 leechers, but now thd same torrent gives about 300-400 kbps. Can anyone tell what's wrong?

https://www.tendacn.com/en/product/f3.html

So what rates does speedtest say. What happens if you run a normal download from say steam.

It could be that the router has a limitation on how many open session it can process. Torrent puts a huge burden on routers because of all the sessions it opens compared to single threaded downloads.

goluthakle

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
So what rates does speedtest say. What happens if you run a normal download from say steam.

It could be that the router has a limitation on how many open session it can process. Torrent puts a huge burden on routers because of all the sessions it opens compared to single threaded downloads.

Speed Test shows an average of 75mbps across different sites and downloads from steam is giving 9-10mbps. What should I do next?

Be sure on steam you are not confusing bytes and bits.

speedtest is a file download so it really should be the same speed as any other file download. You could I suppose download a large file form microsoft in the browser and watch the rates in the network tab of the resource monitor.

Speedtest generally proves your network is ok. It must be some software limiting the speed of other downloads. If you have any of that so called "gaming" network accelerators you need to uninstall those. Some times this software is bundled with the motherboard.

goluthakle

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
Be sure on steam you are not confusing bytes and bits.

speedtest is a file download so it really should be the same speed as any other file download. You could I suppose download a large file form microsoft in the browser and watch the rates in the network tab of the resource monitor.

Speedtest generally proves your network is ok. It must be some software limiting the speed of other downloads. If you have any of that so called "gaming" network accelerators you need to uninstall those. Some times this software is bundled with the motherboard.
In steam it was 11 megabytes/s ands avg 10 megabytes.I just completely formatted my pc, and I don't have any network accelerators installed. Though i used to get high torrent download speeds previously but now no more on the same network, just with a new router.It is anything to do with my router session limit? But i can't find any settings for it on router index

So it is only torrent that is affected. 11MB is 88mbits so steam is showing the same number as speedtest.

There likely are no setting in the router it is memory limitation. The new router may have less memory or maybe it has a less powerful cpu. Consumer routers are just not designed for the traffic torrent does. These routers are designed for maybe 50 machines with a few sessions each, not 1000s of open sessions.

You need to change these setting in the torrent client.

goluthakle

Reputable
Mar 13, 2016
So it is only torrent that is affected. 11MB is 88mbits so steam is showing the same number as speedtest.

There likely are no setting in the router it is memory limitation. The new router may have less memory or maybe it has a less powerful cpu. Consumer routers are just not designed for the traffic torrent does. These routers are designed for maybe 50 machines with a few sessions each, not 1000s of open sessions.

You need to change these setting in the torrent client.
Which settings should i change in the client considering these circumstances

The torrent clients vary but you should be able to set the number seeders etc. Been a long time since I used torrent the github type of repositories are really fast and that was the only type of software I ever used torrent for. So I can provide little actual guidance.