Question Torture test errors on Intel I7-12700H (Prime95)?

Feb 23, 2023
Hi all,
I am having errors on two Intel I7-12700H Dell Precision 5570 laptops (6 performance(hyperthreaded) and 8 efficiency BIG.little system). Prime95 64bit 30.8 build17, windows10.
The problems go away if I limit the cores to 6p (no hyperthreads) and 2e. Memory tests do not show issues.
What is strange is that when the fail occurs, it often involves two or three cores at the same time.
Looks like HW issue in the chipset (uncore?) to me.
Does somebody know about such a problem? If not, I hope there are people that are willing to torture test similar systems.

Under load, the CPU cores are at about 80DegC, and at 2GHz clock.

Errors may occur on the first minute, or it may sometimes work through the night without issues. but usually I find 2-3 workers stopped on the next morning with errors like these:

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 3.904203594e+59, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected running 560K FFT size, consult stress.txt file.

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 1.599713869e+237, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected running 21K FFT size, consult stress.txt file.

FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 1.348361105e+272, expected less than 0.4
Hardware failure detected running 20K FFT size, consult stress.txt file.
Self-test 25K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Final result was 00000000, expected: 4D58EEF3.
Hardware failure detected running 20K FFT size, consult stress.txt file.
FATAL ERROR: Final result was 00000000, expected: 4C1D976F.
Hardware failure detected running 864K FFT size, consult stress.txt file.
Self-test 1024K passed!
FATAL ERROR: Final result was 00000000, expected: 4C1D976F.
Hardware failure detected running 864K FFT size, consult stress.txt file.

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Feb 20, 2023
Those temperatures and errors are bad news. Are you sure everything is mounted properly before trying to troubleshoot the problem software wise ? Make sure the CPU cooler is mounted properly and thermal paste is applied correctly.

Feb 23, 2023
I would try and disable any power limiting in bios. If you are confident enough you could try increasing the voltage in small increments to see if the test smooths out.
Hi, it is a Dell laptop and there are no options in the BIOS other than limiting the number of cores or turn off hyper threading. When I limit the cores to 8 (6p-nohyper,2e) for one of the machines and to 14(6p+hyper, 2e) for the other, it seems to stabilize them.

Hi, it is a Dell laptop and there are no options in the BIOS other than limiting the number of cores or turn off hyper threading. When I limit the cores to 8 (6p-nohyper,2e) for one of the machines and to 14(6p+hyper, 2e) for the other, it seems to stabilize them.
Yes that would indicate your cpu may not be getting enough power to run those tests. Are you using high performance Windows power setting/or the highest power setting allowed by the laptop? Other than Prime tests is the cpu performing as expected?

Feb 23, 2023
Yes that would indicate your cpu may not be getting enough power to run those tests. Are you using high performance Windows power setting/or the highest power setting allowed by the laptop? Other than Prime tests is the cpu performing as expected?
The reason to run Prime95 is that I got wrong container (needed to flash NXP SoC) after one of the builds. And the system has been doing weird things like not recognizing the additional monitors (this may not be related. So I wanted to test and got the Prime95 errors.