Question Toshiba 1tb external hdd freezes pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 17, 2019
Hi..sure this will fall on deaf ears but here goes! I purchased a Toshiba Canvio basics 1tb external hdd just over a year ago & out of no where it has stopped working! It shows up as a local disk & the blue light continusly blinks. I can't run chkdsk etc as it freezes up my computer..I'm at a loss for what i can do!?! Not happy as this drive contains invaluable data which is seemingly lost & considering this item came with a 2 year warranty I'm livid! If you have any help or tips it would be much appreciated..needless to say i won't be buying toshiba products again!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy sm

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Nothing wrong with Toshiba - you might have just gotten unlucky.

If it's an external drive, it's common for the enclosure to fail before the HDD. So it may be worth taking the drive out of the enclosure and plugging it straight via SATA to your PC.

Are you able to run HD Sentinel at all whilst it's plugged in? Can you access data when it appears as a drive or does this freeze the system too?

Highly likely the HDD has potentially failed, but try the above first.

....Not happy as this drive contains invaluable data which is seemingly lost & considering this item came with a 2 year warranty I'm livid! If you have any help or tips it would be much appreciated..needless to say i won't be buying toshiba products again!
You'd be saying the same thing about Seagate, WD, etc. Fact is that drives fail. And, having your only copy of "invaluable data" on that drive is simply asking for trouble. If you had a backup (multiple in the case of "invaluable") this would not have been anything but a minor inconvenience:
  1. Replace drive
  2. Restore from most recent backup
  3. Continue with your day

Jun 17, 2019
Nothing wrong with Toshiba - you might have just gotten unlucky.

If it's an external drive, it's common for the enclosure to fail before the HDD. So it may be worth taking the drive out of the enclosure and plugging it straight via SATA to your PC.

Are you able to run HD Sentinel at all whilst it's plugged in? Can you access data when it appears as a drive or does this freeze the system too?

Highly likely the HDD has potentially failed, but try the above first.
Hi..thanks for your reply. I've already taken out of the enclosure and connected straight to the pc & also with a docking station.Same result..shows up as a local disk & any attempt to communicate/explore just freezes up the computer untill i unplug. I have recovery software but same result..will keep loading but not showing any drives untill unplugged then my other drives show!?!

Jun 17, 2019
You'd be saying the same thing about Seagate, WD, etc. Fact is that drives fail. And, having your only copy of "invaluable data" on that drive is simply asking for trouble. If you had a backup (multiple in the case of "invaluable") this would not have been anything but a minor inconvenience:
  1. Replace drive
  2. Restore from most recent backup
  3. Continue with your day
I do have 99% of the data backed up..was actually what i was trying to do when it failed! Tried the restore & same result..light blinks,shows on system but unable to do anything as it freezes up my system

Jun 17, 2019
And have you tried it in a different system too?

If it freezes up another system entirely, then I'd be suggesting the drive has failed. And hopefully see if it can be returned under warranty.
Thanks for your reply..yh have tried it in 2 desktops & 1 laptop,same result! Shows up as Local disk G..light on hdd blinks,freezes up computer! Chkdsk etc won't run on any untill hdd disconnected 😔

Status
Not open for further replies.