Toshiba 65L9300U: A 4K HDTV With HDMI 2.0 Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Toshiba still holding onto the 3D in their TV's. I got caught up in the hype and bought me a 3D TV two years ago and honestly I have only used it maybe 4 or 5 times if that. It's something now that I look back on I could have really done without and saved money on a regular HDTV, but live and learn. a cheaper non 3D version of this would be nice. I, like most people can do without the 3D function on a TV, esp if it will reduce the cost on the TV itself. It is nice to finally see a 4k TV come with HDMI 2.0 support, something that 1080p TV's don't need but 4k do in order to take full advantage of it by allowing 60fps.

Untill we get 4K contenent or GPUs can manage 4K resolutions in AAA titles with highest settings possible, 4K makes as much sense as a fast car in a 50 Km/h town.On the 3D matter, it does look cool on a projector if you get a 120+ inch screen, but in tvs, it looks like a gimick to me.Now... The HDMI improvment is something I want. Ive been wanting Full HD 60Hz 3D for a long time, and it seems 3D has been so unpopular that it didnt even make sense to invest in improving bandwidth.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
$1500 - $2000 would be the "sweet spot" price point for this TV.Still I'm glad to see this at $3500 is not too "exotic".... LOLSo it could reach the $2000 "sweet spot" within a year or so... Good review by the way.

aberkae

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
51 ms of input lag is too much lag for any gaming, fyi abesofmaine has a few 55 inch 4k monitors by sony samsung and lg closer to $2000 frees shipping and no tax. the 65 inchers are still $3k and up.

NinjaNerd56

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
I have a Toshiba set in the bedroom and it's only OK overall.Of course, part of that is the 65 inch Panasonic plasma in the living room. Only 1080p, but incredible picture in every aspect. I spent about as much on it last year as this Toshiba costs now at MSRP. Don't regret a penny.Given the dearth of 4K content, I'll stick with this plasma beast for a while. May be the last year we see plasma, so I'm about to see if the 100,000 hour rating on the panel is for real.And, I'd put my calibrated Panasonic against any set, including 4K machines, with 1080p content. And I'd win. Sadly, resolution and 'smart' features are the focus of these early 4K sets and as picture comes behind.That said...it's 4K! This will be neat...in 2-3 years.

G

This TV is similar to the Panasonic TC-L65WT600. According to THX, you have to sit 6.5 feet away from this TV, at most.

Zeroplanetz

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
I want 4k 120hz min, with 3d, and no need for WiFi or internet in it and at 50". For no more than $1k. That's when ill buy. No not some almost. But true 4k. It would be nice though if I could add a blutooth dongle for video receiving from my PC.

Traciatim

Distinguished
I want 4k 120hz min, with 3d, and no need for WiFi or internet in it and at 50". For no more than $1k. That's when ill buy. No not some almost. But true 4k. It would be nice though if I could add a blutooth dongle for video receiving from my PC.
Do you sit under 4' away from your TV or something?

Steveymoo

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
So uh, why does Dell charge the same for their 32" US again? This has twice the real estate, and similar (if not better) performance, but costs exactly the same.Anyone?

G

So uh, why does Dell charge the same for their 32" US again? This has twice the real estate, and similar (if not better) performance, but costs exactly the same.Anyone?
I guess the ultimate in picture quality right now is 4k at 60Hz. The Dell can connect to your computer via Display Port 1.2 to achieve this, but this TV cannot. It's rather a future proof concept that will accept an HDMI 2.0 capable 4k set-top player.

Zeroplanetz

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Do you sit under 4' away from your TV or something?
no. My point is I don't need or want all that extra stuff. When I can add my own WiFi and internet for far far less than they offer. I want great screen with great refresh and 3d ability. Everything else is meh. I don't want some android chrome or apple in my tv either. If they want to truly go somewhere with tvs, let us wirelessly sync into the tv with what we want. My PC is within 30ft of my tv soo...

RoyMacDonald

Reputable
Apr 3, 2014
Pioneer's 4k TV has display port. HDMI 2 has nowhere near the bandwidth of display port so it would be better to have a DP on sets as there are plenty of games that support 4k already. I don't get the detractors of 4k, when you look at how much better even tiny iPhone screens are with retina displays. (and I do watch TV from 4' away)

georgekn3mp

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Great review! I have the 58" version of this TV the 58L9300U and the only real difference is that is smaller and has ACTIVE 3D instead of passive 3D. The picture is great and the firmware was updated to HDMI 2.0 which definitely will help later with HDMI 2.0 GPU's WHEN they come out. it upscales very well based on content, the better source material does make a difference. It works well with my SLI GTX670's but the 30 MHZ limitation does cause issues with more lag and jitter. Upscaling BluRays looks great.... or streaming 1080p works great on a Wireless N connection.

hannibal

Distinguished
Dell 32"4K is very color accurate professional monitor... This is just very, very fine TV... Not a tool to real work!Think why some no-name screwdriver cost 50 sent and professional vanadium steel variant 20$...

traumadisaster

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2011
Last year at this time I went 4k and only for pc gaming. I still drop my jaw each time a put a new game in that I used to play at 1080p and then see in 2160p. There is a handful of games that I don't like at 30hz but there are a ton that is fine for me. The cool thing is I got to experience 120hz gaming at 1080p and that is equally fantastic. Using the 50 inch Seiki and Titan btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.