Toshiba Agrees to Acquire OCZ SSD Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Their SSDs were not the best. They had some reliability issues and issues with firmware. They were cheap which was great for lowering the $1/GB but not good enough to keep them alive.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

The PSU reputation came from PC Power and Cooling, not from OCZ. PC Power was one of the best long before they were bought by OCZ, which is more of a midrange brand.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
Most of my ssds are OCZ. I had an early g.skill and I now have a modern Toshiba, but I have generally fond memories of OCZ SSDs. But my favorite product of theirs was actually discontinued years ago. OCZ Trifecta was a quarter sized microsd adapter that worked in SD slots, USB ports and even worked with microsdhc cards before it broke. The first time it broke OCZ replaced it no questions asked...

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I have a Silencer MKII and a Vertex 4 in the same system and both have been great so far.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005

Intellectual property, and their foot in the door with enterprise class customers. While OCZ didn't get the market share of Intel or Samsung or even fusionIO, they still have some patents from their early foray into SSD tech and have some established customer base for the high end lucrative market, where Toshiba probably is lacking in both reputation and market presence.

f-14

Distinguished
because the board and the CEO are on the take and there is some very dirty dirty money going on under the table.

"Ralph Schmitt, CEO of OCZ, points out that the company has suffered a tough year, facing NAND flash supply constraints and credit issues that have impacted OCZ's ability to satisfy the demands of its customers."

oh yes such a hard hard year with the tsunami and other earthquakes and monsoon in asia that literally stunted the HDD sector and caused prices of HDD to double and be almost as much as an SSD, yes that was such a hard year to recover from raking in money hand over fist.

the only thing OCZ had a problem with was their quality control of their SSD's as a very large % of them failed very badly right out of the box if not 3 days to 3 weeks to 3 months later.

$35 million dollars is a price so low they're braindead if not committing some kind of fraud/stock laundering deal with Toshiba. this is too good of a deal which makes it so suspicious it screams of a back alley rollex dealer in new york city

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
OCZ SSD's had terrible reliability issues I'm not shocked by this at all. OCZ's system memory business is a bit better, but honestly it's overpriced relative to value.

Frankly I've never been inclined to buy any of there products, but I'm a pretty conscious tech shopper that values price to performance and reliability.

On a side note this looks more than a little shady as if OCZ planned this all along go bankrupt and sell the company and suddenly all those SSD warranties evaporate.

George Lebers

Honorable
Aug 27, 2013
I Have 3 OCZ SSD's in a PC (dual boot + VM) and a Toshba Laptop. All have been working perfectly for years. I am looking forward to getting a Toshiba OCZ SSD in the future.

gsxrme

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Yes! Toshiba SSHD will be coming out soon! Western Digital Black SSHD is the only competition. Seagates SSHD is a joke. Is SSDs the future? No. Is HDD the future? No. But SSHD is where its at. Im so happy!

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I would rather Western Digital or Seagate had purchased OCZ, but this is really a very good thing. Just like Bigfoot's Killer NICs, quality control needed to happen. Qualcomm brought it to the Killer products, and I expect Toshiba will bring it to the OCZ technology.

Lutfij

Titan
I've had the pleasure of owning two kits of 4GB dimms by OCZ. The funny thing is, soon after purchasing the kits, news spread that they were shutting down their memory division for the same reason this article mentions above. I've kept my eye off their products since then and now I see their ssd's will be auctioned off , well maybe, and next thing you know it - their PSU's are on fire.

Hope OCZ can come back in the game as they once were or maybe come back with a different title...?

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Toshiba's story is a sad one, they were at the top of state of the art in tech and their laptops were the ones to have. Then it was discovered that they sold secrets on noise suppression for submarines learned while working with the US Navy and got themselves banned from the US market for many years.

OCZ was on the cutting edge of SSD tech and got burned a bit in the beginning, but their tech improved and is outstanding. IMO Their big mistake was the choice of not licensing 'proprietary controllers, firmware and software' in a budding industry. Survival means being in the game and they made a poor choice, they had proven tech which they could have marketed, tech which has a limited shelf life as the next big thing will come along.

Status
Not open for further replies.