Question Toshiba battery not holding charge

May 30, 2019
Seven year old Toshiba satellite that I'm just trying to get a bit more life out of, it's a nice machine for basic admin, word processing, very light gaming.

The battery hasn't held charge for three/four years now but I wasn't tech savvy then.

Over the last six months I've managed to eliminate that it's neither the battery, the charger, or the drivers that are causing an update. I've substituted each accordingly and still the battery won't charge. Occasionally I'll get five minutes of usage without the mains being plugged in.

I'm at the point now where I'm convinced it's something to do with either the charging port or the motherboard itself.

I know the recommendation at this point is to pay a professional, but as a tecchie by day myself, is there anything I could be looking for at this point?

iMatty

Honorable
Mar 14, 2019
Well any laptops after a few years of usage, the battery tend to stop holding any charge and the only solution i would usually find it either buy a new battery for that laptop or just keep the laptop plugged 24/7.
Have had multiple laptops do that after few years of usage.
Plus sometimes, over charging the battery could lead to the battery stop holding charge in it.

rechargeable batteries lose capacity over time. Laptop batteries experience noticeable loss of longevity after only a few years. If you continue to use an old battery, its run time will shrink further until the battery can only last a matter of minutes before dying. To regain the lost power, you need to order a new battery from the computer's manufacturer. Most laptops have user-replaceable batteries, though some may require professional disassembly.

May 30, 2019
I am very grateful for your reply, and I think I'll have to embrace that it is age with this machine.

However, I purchased a replacement battery not so long ago, and that is having the same error. In fact, straight out of the packaging the new battery could not power the laptop on without being plugged in.