Toshiba C55 snafu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2018
I checked in with the pros at the local library who couldn't figure out what was going on on my Toshiba C55 laptop. Ii had turned off updates, then decided to manually let the computer update. Then I had a more advanced updates I allowed and it went into the unwanted loop of updates and then undoing the updates. So I tried to log in again and it gave me the option of a total restore deleting the hard drive's contents or totally over-writing the contents. I opted for the former then I got the boot and reboot menu. I tried the fixes recommended without getting any good results.

I'm thinking downloading some fix on to a flash drive may be a fix. I have seen a dvd with the fix is recommended as an option. I do not have a restore disk. Are there any good links on advanced solutions?

If you are having issues with the system even when you tried a full clean setup, that may be a bad drive. Not sure what you are talking about a fix on a flash drive, that is pretty generic. Are you talking about re-installing Windows clean from media? That may work, but you may end up needing to replace the drive then install Windows.

Mar 30, 2018
It looks like there are a lot of people with a similar issue. The problem is if the drivers, etc. have been deleted the solution is getting a tailor made dvd for your computer to re-install the deleted operating system. $40 delivered for a Toshiba. There may be cheap work arounds, but they are a lot more work.

I spoke with Geek Squad at Best Buy a number of times, and they gave me mixed information. This is what I came up with.

Yes a restore disk will re-install Windows if the recovery partition is messed up, and you are right about a clean Windows OEM disk being a bit harder to work with, you would need to do a few more steps with installing drivers. Geek Squad is not the best place to get fixes from, their techs are usually not experienced enough to give the best solution, or one that will work for you specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.