[SOLVED] Toshiba C660 CPU upgrade

Nov 27, 2020
Hey, what's the highest supported CPU for C660 running i3 380M? I want to upgrade to i7 740M or i5 2420M. If these won't be compatible, which CPU will be best for my laptop? I have socket PGA988A.

Solution
The latter two are not compatible - Socket G2 and Socket G1 will only work together if you happen to have a laptop with a PGA989 that has an extra pinhole which can accommodate both these lines of CPU.

You might be able to use other Westmere mobile CPUs, but it's a gamble because laptops aren't known for having BIOS that will accept all technically feasible mobile CPUs. I wouldn't bet heavily on something like an i7-640M working. You're also not going to have a huge chance in performance; it'll be faster, but in this generation, going up to i5/i7 only got you boost behaviors, not additional cores of threads.

Zapthos

Reputable
Dec 31, 2016
While the new cpu's will definitly fit the socket, your bios may not support it. I've looked through many different configurations of this model and this cpu is the best that came preinstalled by toshiba: i5-2450m. But, I don't recommend upgrading the CPU, if you sell this laptop you can buy a way better laptop 2nd hand for the money you got + what you want to spend on the new CPU.

DSzymborski

Titan
The latter two are not compatible - Socket G2 and Socket G1 will only work together if you happen to have a laptop with a PGA989 that has an extra pinhole which can accommodate both these lines of CPU.

You might be able to use other Westmere mobile CPUs, but it's a gamble because laptops aren't known for having BIOS that will accept all technically feasible mobile CPUs. I wouldn't bet heavily on something like an i7-640M working. You're also not going to have a huge chance in performance; it'll be faster, but in this generation, going up to i5/i7 only got you boost behaviors, not additional cores of threads.

Solution