Toshiba Creates 128GB (64Gb NAND) Flash Chips

Status
Not open for further replies.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Honestly, I'd rather a memory slot on all devices. 1GB of internal just to store the OS etc.
Nothing like paying $100 more for only 16GB more of memory...

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]wintermint[/nom]"Temperature range -25degrees to +85degees Celsius"Uh.. won't that explode? o_O[/citation]
That's the ambient temperature of the air where the device is to operate. The fact that the highest recorded temperature in the world was 57.8 °C means you are not worried about operating temps in hot places. Working in the Antarctic, that's a differant matter...

Epic win for Toshiba, i'll give it 10 years and these chips will be rated in Tera, not Giga.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]The fact that the highest recorded temperature in the world was 57.8 °C means you are not worried about operating temps in hot places.[/citation]
Last year the aircon failed in one of my server rooms. I measured air temperature in excess of 64C that day.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Last year the aircon failed in one of my server rooms. I measured air temperature in excess of 64C that day.[/citation]
He meant under natural circumstances.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
A room heating up is natural if the aircon fails.
Products aren't made only for perfect conditions - they're made with regard to certain risks. Thus 85C could actually become a problem in some situations - like being left in the windscreen of a black car on a sunny day with a 40C ambient temperature.

znegval

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I can't believe people are bitching about it being 85C. If the chip is running hotter than that I wouldn't be worried about my equipment but about not dying of a heat stroke.

hsetir

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
Though indeed practically it would never reach 85C, what you guys are missing that memory chips always operate higher than ambient temperature given no extra cooling. GPU rams are made for more than 100C and often reach about 90C. HDD's often reach 60C even if your ambience is at 30C.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]"Oh noez, my memory chips are failing!!!"[/citation]

No caption that under a picture of a cat on fire and it'd be perfect. :)

flinxsl

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2008
-20C to +85C is industry standard "industrial" temperature range in the integrated circuit business. Their chip worked over a wider range of temperatures, so they specified it to target more markets than just mobile devices.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
Relatively slow transfer rates, but that's a sacrifice that has to be made for massive amounts of storage. I think it's safe to assume that production costs are much too high for it to be viable at this point in time.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Pyroflea[/nom]Relatively slow transfer rates, but that's a sacrifice that has to be made for massive amounts of storage. I think it's safe to assume that production costs are much too high for it to be viable at this point in time.[/citation]
Well, if I am reading this right
128GB embedded device integrates sixteen 64Gbit (equal to 8GB) NAND chips
So assuming that they work in tandem and data is written between all 16 chips the same way RAID does, then can I assume the 21MB / 46MB can be times by 16 to 336MB / 736MB.
Obviously it doesn't scale up exactly so how much do I take off for overheads to get the same speeds as top end SSDs?

hackintoshpro

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Nice cool temps, wish my laptop....errrr....desktop replacement ran that cool. Clevo D900F w/desktop Core i7 rendering Cinema 4D, 3ds Max, Inventor, and Solidworks at a toasty 95 deg C chip temp, 65 deg C air blowing out the back. I may have to get an A/C for it! Hah - its necessary for those progs however....

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Was it in excess by an additional 21 degrees?Don't worry, be happy[/citation]
To get the internal ambient temperature of a room up to 64C, the device that produces heat has to be WELL above that; you don't boil water with a 100-degree flame, you have a flame that burns much hotter, in the hundreds of degrees. So it's quite possible that with that amount of heat buildup, the actual chip temps exceeded 85 degrees.

Of course, with a mobile device, concerns over battery life push down TDP, and hence heat production, so in mobile applications, the thermal tolerance of a flash memory device isn't as critical. It remains so in SSD applications, though.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Well, if I am reading this rightSo assuming that they work in tandem and data is written between all 16 chips the same way RAID does, then can I assume the 21MB / 46MB can be times by 16 to 336MB / 736MB.Obviously it doesn't scale up exactly so how much do I take off for overheads to get the same speeds as top end SSDs?[/citation]
Actually, the speeds given ARE for "RAID-like" usage; that's what the whole use of the word "interleaved" indicates. Write speed is apparently unaffected by this, but read speed is bumped up to 55MB/sec.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS