Question Toshiba E45-B4200 Laptop - Constantly reboots after upgrade to 16 GB of RAM

Jan 3, 2021
Hello all,

I recently attempted to upgrade a Toshiba E45-B4200 laptop to 16 GB of memory, which is the max listed in the user manual. There are two RAM slots, so I purchased a (2x8GB) DDR3L-1600 SODIMM pair, and when installed, the BIOS picks up that there is 16 GB of RAM. However, when I boot the laptop, it will continually reboot right around the time it gets to the Windows 10 login screen. I booted the laptop off a Linux distro installed on a USB stick to rule out Windows OS issues, and the same issue happens where the laptop reboots once the Linux GUI has loaded.

To troubleshoot further, I've run the laptop with only one 8 GB stick at a time, and then used the laptop for normal everyday use over the span of a day. I've done this with both sticks, so I feel confident that there are no issues with either 8 GB stick.

The BIOS is running the latest version according to Toshiba's download site, and I don't see any settings in the BIOS where RAM timing settings could be set.

Has anyone else out there been able to upgrade a E45-B4200 laptop to 16 GB of RAM, and if so, were there any tricks to getting it to work?

Thanks in advance, and if you need any additional details, please let me know.

Apr 14, 2021
Did you solved it? I'm having the same issue, i've tried to upgrade my ram from 6GB to 16GB and the OS crashes when I use both ram sticks but if I use just one (doesn't matter which one) it works perfectly.

Jan 3, 2021
Did you solved it? I'm having the same issue, i've tried to upgrade my ram from 6GB to 16GB and the OS crashes when I use both ram sticks but if I use just one (doesn't matter which one) it works perfectly.

I haven't worked on this since. We'll likely be replacing this laptop shortly, but I might re-purpose it for something else. At that point, I'd likely see if there is a BIOS update that corrects this issue.