Question Toshiba External Drive not working

Feb 11, 2021
Hello Guys,

I have the "Toshiba Canvio Basics 2 TB" Harddrive on a Windows 10 - 64 Bit PC.

It has been working for about half an year.

But now it shows no light when i plug it in and i cant find it under "drives" or in the "drive manager". The drive is still spinning when connected.

It has a micro usb 3.0 Port and no seperate power supply. Its one of this "double port"

Strangely the hdd shows light if i use my micro usb cellphone cable (USB 2.0) in a specific usb slot on my pc, but only in this slot. The cable only uses 1 of the 2 parts of the usb 3.0 slot of the hdd.

But If i connect my hdd this way, i get a "connection tone" over and over again and the drive starts and stops again and again but isnt detected properly.

I also tried another USB 3.0 cable, and on another pc, but the hdd light wont show and the hdd isnt detected.

If the drive is dead and you did not do a backup of your important files I guess the only option you have now is to send the drive to a data retrieval center and pay a few hundred dollars to maybe get your data back.

A drive can die at any moment so important files should and need to be backed up on at least 2 different storage media for this exact reason.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS