Question Toshiba laptop cannot see my wifi network, can see all other networks in range

Status
Not open for further replies.

kn4hh

Commendable
Jun 2, 2020
I have a Tosbiba L-855-S5383 laptop running Windows 10. For many years, the wifi functions have been very good. Recently, the laptop is unable to detect my home wifi network. It does see many local netrworks. All other pc's, iPhone, iPad all connect to my wifi network just fine. I activated my iPhone wifi hotspot and the laptop detects and connects properly.

I would appreciate any assistance.

Bob W

RealBeast

Titan
I've run into this several times when some component in the network has been changed. I would delete your home network, restart, then reacquire it.
To do that go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wifi >Manage known networks then scan down the list and find your home network and delete.

kn4hh

Commendable
Jun 2, 2020
I've run into this several times when some component in the network has been changed. I would delete your home network, restart, then reacquire it.
To do that go to Settings > Network & Internet > Wifi >Manage known networks then scan down the list and find your home network and delete.
Thanks for your suggestion. I did remove my home network as you suggested. I rebooted the laptop and still no detection of my wifi network. I also tried to add the network and it did not recognize it. My wifi router is nothing special. Asus RT-AX86U. I checked all wifi bands and the router is working as evidenced by all my other devices detecting and connectring to my network.

Ralston18

Titan
Also:

Verify that only one network adapter (either wired or wireless) is enabled. As I understand the posts, wireless is being used so therefore the laptop's wired network adpater should be disabled.

Disable IPv6 on the laptop. Disabling IPv6 has solved quite a number of problems.

On the laptop run "ipconfig /all" (without quotes) via the Command Prompt.

Post the results. (You should be able to copy and paste the results without needing to re-type it all.)

Reactions: RealBeast

letmepicyou

Honorable
Mar 5, 2019
Are you certain your home network is set to broadcast your SSID?

Most knowledgeable network techs will do several things when setting up a wireless network:
1: change default login
2: change default password
3: disable SSID broadcast
4: change SSID broadcast name
5: enable MAC filtering

That's pretty much my "SOP" when setting up a network...

RealBeast

Titan
Thanks for your suggestion. I did remove my home network as you suggested. I rebooted the laptop and still no detection of my wifi network. I also tried to add the network and it did not recognize it. My wifi router is nothing special. Asus RT-AX86U. I checked all wifi bands and the router is working as evidenced by all my other devices detecting and connectring to my network.
One other "trick" that I often use is to spoof your wireless adapter MAC address using this FREE TOOL. It obviously doesn't really change your hardware MAC address, but just makes it appear to be different. I've had great luck with it.

kn4hh

Commendable
Jun 2, 2020
One other "trick" that I often use is to spoof your wireless adapter MAC address using this FREE TOOL. It obviously doesn't really change your hardware MAC address, but just makes it appear to be different. I've had great luck with it.
Here is the results of my ipconfig/all querry:

(c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\kn4hh>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : DESKTOP-DMRAK2N
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-8C-FA-3F-38-78
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8723AE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2C-D0-5A-49-56-75

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 2:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #2

Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Bluetooth Device (Personal Area Network)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2C-D0-5A-49-AE-C7

The network is properly broadcasting the SSID. Five other devices are using this network successfully daily.

RealBeast

Titan
The device that you want to change is the actual wireless adapter:
Realtek RTL8723AE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
The program will randomly select a new physical address (aka MAC address) but will save the old one to switch back if you want later.

kn4hh

Commendable
Jun 2, 2020
The device that you want to change is the actual wireless adapter:
Realtek RTL8723AE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC
The program will randomly select a new physical address (aka MAC address) but will save the old one to switch back if you want later.
I changed the MAC address of the wireless adapter to
92-90-59-77-B0-C5 and restarted the laptop. No change in operation. I see seven of my neighbors wifi networks and I see the wifi hotspot from my iPhone and no detection of my wireless network. My wireless network is broadcasting SSID’s on both 2.4 and 5 ghz. Sorry for all this bandwidth. I must be missing something basic.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding the "ipconfig /all" results in Post #7

No network adapters are enabled/connected.

Is the wireless network adapter visible in Device Manager? Ensure that View > Show hidden devices is checked.

Do over

Completely uninstall the wireless network adapter drivers.

Manually download the drivers via the manufacturer's website. Reinstall and reconfigure. No third party tools or installers.

kn4hh

Commendable
Jun 2, 2020
Thanks to all for your posting. Sorry for the late update. I finally got ASUS attention and they are assisting me. I will keep you advised on what the outcome is. They are having me try new Firmware among other things.
Again, thanks for your input

Status
Not open for further replies.