Question Toshiba Laptop fan stopped working

tyronelio

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
Hello, I have an older Toshiba Satellite L50-C and the fan just wont start when I boot up causing the system to crash before I even got properly in.

I took the laptop apart and cleaned it and reapplied thermal paste to the cpu and discrete gpu while also taking the fan apart and cleaning and checking the cables and header and everything seems to be fine. It all looks perfectly normal with no damages/burnt marks.

Thank you.

tyronelio

Honorable
Oct 25, 2012
How do you know the fan is causing the crash? Also, what type of crash are we talking about?

The fan typically won't spin until a certain temperature is reached. Your fan may not be revving because it's not hot enough.
I manage to get the laptop to load up and sit on idle long enough to check temps. Hottest it gets is 62 degrees. Could it possible be a thermal paste issue? I’ve reset the bios and have no temp related fan settings that I’ve changed.

The fan doesn’t even do the quick start when you first power it.

If the fan isn't spinning at 62 degrees Celsius, then I think you need to replace it, unfortunately. Your worst case is that the header on the board is damaged or malfunctioning, in which case you'd have to have the board repaired or replaced - speaking of which, do you notice the fan header (the connector) damaged at all?

I don't think it's thermal paste, but it wouldn't hurt to double check the application.