Question Toshiba Laptop screen distortion after booting

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
Please help me with my laptop.

from recent years it has been working fine until when I was playing a game and suddenly the screen showed vertical lines with many colors also with some kind of looping buzz sound and the only way to operate it is to shut it down. Same still goes for another attempt of playing other games. (I think it is the video card dying.) I got it cleaned up, It was an overheating issue so the problem was gone.

After a month, the problem showed up again. Whenever I play games for a couple of minutes, the screen goes black and returns again to normal prompting me with an error that says "Your display driver has stopped working" some sort of that because I can't really remember. So I didn't play games knowing that every time I play games with that laptop, It shows again that error but It was still capable of rendering some videos IF the laptop was properly cooled down by leaving a fan facing to the laptop. So again I think it was another overheating issue.

There is this time that I turned off the GPU of the laptop so It wouldn't use the card. I was thinking that maybe that was a faulty card leaving me using the integrated video card of the intel cpu but I was wrong. After disabling the card, laptop ran for a couple of minutes and the problem still shows up.

After a couple of weeks, the laptop come to its final state. Now, whenever I boot up the laptop it shows much worse than the first problem. It happens after I powered it on for 5 seconds. It shows randomized patterns of colors and such.

Here is the link for a visual information of the last problem.
View: https://youtu.be/q4-jGj5FjlY

First attempt of booting it up, it showed something with my cmos battery (I removed the HDD, Installed it on another laptop because I have something important from there and returned the HDD to the original laptop) and after pressing the button to edit the date and time, the problem showed up.

Second attempt of booting it up, the laptop shows only black screen, no backlighting, only black screen but the light activity on the laptop are on.

Please help me.

kaehligj

Prominent
Mar 15, 2018
Its an overheating problem that has taken the video card to its EOL.

happened to my wifes laptop couple of years ago.
We did not pay attention to cleaning the PC, and it died for good.

ceejay7

Reputable
Feb 4, 2019
I would like to save my laptop but that sacrifices my cpu in the method of replacing the whole motherboard with a new one that have a weaker cpu and gpu.

I appreciate your reply by the way.

Someone suggested me to take my laptop from where I bought it for them to take it to the factory and let them repair it which is very very expensive because I bought the laptop on another country.

Last edited: