Let me start by giving the specs in case it is needed:

-Brand: Toshiba
-Model: Satellite Pro L630-EZ1311
-CPU: Intel Core i3-M370 2.4GHz
-GPU: Intel HD Graphics
-Resolution: 1366x768
-RAM: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR 1066Mhz
-Usage: (Internet Browsing, Gaming (lower resolution), Video Editing, AutoCAD
-HDD: Hitachi 500GB 5400RPM (Originally Toshiba 320GB 5400RPM)

SHORT VERSION: laptop is not turning on, no indicator lights lit upm shows no sign of power, tried removing battery, probably motehrboard.

FULL VERSION:
So this laptop is two years old and used everyday most time of the day, mostly internet browsing and a few hours of gaming, and sometimes video editing throughout the day It has a small computer fan beside the vent of the cooling fan when I use it at home to help the cooling process. I also bring it to school to do some of my AutoCAD projects.

Now I had to go somewhere where I didn't need my laptop and removed the battery and the charger and left it for two days, this is the first time in months I haven't turned on the laptop in a day. Now when I came back, I inserted the battery and charger and started t o use it like I would use it like I would do everyday. But after a few minutes it randomly turned off. When this happened I was very scared because the indicator lights were also off. I tried turning it on but nothing was happening. I checked the wall adapter if it was loose, tried to power it with the battery only and adapter only. I grabbed my multimeter and checked the wall adapter and gave out 20V as it should. Now I first suspected the motherboard since I knew the power regulators and and power stuff was located on the motherboard. So I tried browsing the internet for solutions and I tried the where you disconnect the power adapter and battery then hold the power button for 30 seconds and try to power it again. It didn't work. I brought it to a technician to diagnose and he took it apart leaving the processor and ram with the motherboard and tried to power it. It didn't and he concluded that it as the motherboard is dead. I took it to an official Toshiba Service Center and said that a new motherboard would cost 480 USD (my new laptop is 450USD, and looked for a shop that would repair it. One shop would replace the motherboard for 200USD, which is my current choice. After few weeks I still haven't sent the laptop to be repaired since I am thinking if it is worth it. So yesterday I decided to check up on it to see if it would turn on. I tried to plug the wall adapter to the laptop without the battery and see the indicator lights would lit up, to my surprise, the wall adapter indicator flashed weakly, I was in a dark room so my eye was able to catch it. I tried to see if it would do the same with the battery plugged but it would only work without the battery.

So here is my question:

1. What could be the problem? Is it the motherboard?

2. What could have caused it?

Thanks for taking time! :D

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Have you checked the power supply? It could be dead, draining your battery so there is no juice even though it's plugged in... Even if it says there's juice. I plug my Dell PS into my wife's and it cuts out, unplug it and it registers again and works fine in my Dell. They do weird things. Try the PS before dropping 4 bills on a mobo.

robert0joe

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

I have checked the power supply, it gives out 20V as it should. If the power supply was fault, and it was draining the battery, I should have at least gotten a low battery warning before the shutdown occurred.

UPDATE: When I try to plug the charger with the battery, the battery light flashes, with it's correct color. When I try to plug the charger without the battery, I get a dim flash (hard to see with lights on) on the indicator that indicates that a charger is plugged to the laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.