Toshiba Laptop SSD upgraded. SSD is showing in BIOS but won't boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arunashamal

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017
Hi guys I have a Toshiba Satellite L650 laptop with windows 7. I wanted to upgrade the hard drive to SSD and to windows 10. I have encountered some problems that did not let me fresh install windows 10 to the SSD via a bootable USB. (Which I don't think relevent for now)

However I managed to install windows 10 to the SSD using another laptop but when I try to boot the Toshiba Laptop it won't boot with the SSD. I works with old win 7 HDD, and I also tried another HDD with a windows 10 installation it still works.

The SSD boots my other laptop and my iMac no problem there.

I can see the SSD on BIOS but I cannot seem to boot from the SSD.

I installed the SSD and tried to re install windows using a USB but it won't find the drive.

I am pulling my hair over this can somebody please tell me what to do in this situation??

Reactions: ToshibaUser2021
Solution
your toshiba laptop supports only SATA 150. what is the model of your SSD? the default driver interface/sata controller might not be able to detect the SSD youre trying to use.

the windows installer fails to see it coz it probably got a different partitioning or whatever random cause since you tried to install on your ssd with the other computer right? try this fix here

run the windows usb uefi installer again.
press shift + f10; a command prompt windows will pop up.
type 'diskpart' and press enter.
type 'list disk' and press enter.
look for the ssd in the list.
you should see a disk number identifying it.
now type 'select disk x' ; x being the number identifying your ssd. and press enter.

type 'clean' and press enter; this will...

Jwpanz

Honorable
Your best bet is to clone your existing HDD to that SSD via a USB to SATA cable. Use Acronis True Image or Macrium Reflect. Sometimes Windows 10 doesn’t like to boot from a new set of hardware other than what it was installed on. You’re most likely hitting a driver issue here.

To be clear, you downloaded the Windows 10 ISO file to a USB stick correct? And that USB stick works on other machines?

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
you cannot pre-install windows from another system (even as an external drive) and plug it into your other system and expect it to run. it doesnt work that way. cloning does the same thing but it copies the drivers that were from your original system with it. but its not 100%. to prevent any future headaches, its advisable to try the windows USB UEFI install with your new SSD attached. be sure your BIOS knows your ssd is in boot priority. but during your windows install go to boot menu and manually select the usb uefi to begin the windows installation.

Arunashamal

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017

It doesn't seem like a driver issue. The computer does not recognize the disk. Because when I when to install windows via bootable USB... it loads initial files and asks to set up the time format, language, etc...and then when you reach the step where you have to choose the disk to install windows on it does not show the drive in there....(there was some kind of message but I don't remember it.)..

I don't mind having a driver issue and installing it again. But in my experience, if there is a driver issue usually it comes after the blue windows "window" logo and then either blue screen or just get stuck..
My problem right now is the computer says to insert a bootable disk ...
The SSD shows in the Bios. also if I plug in a spinning HDD it works fine.... but SSD? No go....

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
your toshiba laptop supports only SATA 150. what is the model of your SSD? the default driver interface/sata controller might not be able to detect the SSD youre trying to use.

the windows installer fails to see it coz it probably got a different partitioning or whatever random cause since you tried to install on your ssd with the other computer right? try this fix here

run the windows usb uefi installer again.
press shift + f10; a command prompt windows will pop up.
type 'diskpart' and press enter.
type 'list disk' and press enter.
look for the ssd in the list.
you should see a disk number identifying it.
now type 'select disk x' ; x being the number identifying your ssd. and press enter.

type 'clean' and press enter; this will write a blank MBR.

try installing again.

:)

Reactions: Red Mi
Solution

Arunashamal

Reputable
Jun 7, 2017

It worked like Magic... Thank you very much... I'll love you forever!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.