[SOLVED] Toshiba MG harddrive disappears from Windows after sleep

Graybeard-2000

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
Built a new computer. These are the specifications: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CTBCYg
Two HDDs came from my old computer. so did the GPU and PSU.
Everything works. All drives appear in BIOS.
But when I have had Windows in sleep mode the Toshiba MG HDD has disappeared from Windows Explorer and Disk Manager

Here is what I have done:
  • Run Windows Hardware and devices troubleshooter
  • Reformatted the drive and split it into two smaller volumes.
  • Removed the checkmark for 'Do not show empty drives' in Windows Explorer
  • Put data in both volumes to make sure there is no remaining 'empty drives' problem
  • Checked all the SATA cables asnd swapped them around between drives to see if that made a difference. It didn't.
  • Set the "Turn off Hard Disks after" to 'Never'
I have
Windows Home 20H2
Build 19042.1052
Updated 03/‎07/‎2021

Any ideas?

Solution
Where/how are you setting the drive's power saving/sleep configuration?

Any third party applications or utilities being used for power saving and/or configuration?

Try the following cmdlet

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg /L

Results from my computer:

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
-----------------------------------
Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced)
Power Scheme GUID: 49ef8fc0-bb7f-488e-b6a0-f1fc77ec649b (Dell)
Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance) *
Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a (Power saver)
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

An asterick shows the active power plan.

= = = =

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

References...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

By old, how old is the PSU in the build(that's been recycled)? We're in 21H1 for Windows 10, might want to see if you have another update pending. As for your platform, I think this has to do with sleep settings, might want to check and see if your BIOS is pending any updates. Then check and see what your power management settings are in BIOS. Then go into OS GUI, start>power & sleep settings>change plan settings>change advanced power settings>USB settings>see if it's set to enabled.

Graybeard-2000

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021

By old, how old is the PSU in the build(that's been recycled)? We're in 21H1 for Windows 10, might want to see if you have another update pending. As for your platform, I think this has to do with sleep settings, might want to check and see if your BIOS is pending any updates. Then check and see what your power management settings are in BIOS. Then go into OS GUI, start>power & sleep settings>change plan settings>change advanced power settings>USB settings>see if it's set to enabled.

Thank you for your welcome and swift response. I agree that the sleep sections are the main suspect.

My PSU is from Dec 2017. I am aware that it might have some limitations on heavy power situations for the CPU, but I am not planning overclocking, so for the moment, I am choosing to keep it running.

I have since yesterday been trying different avenues you proposed:
  • I upgraded to 21H1 - no difference
  • I upgraded the BIOS - no difference
  • I had a look at the power management settings in the BIOS and changed the idle power from auto to , that screrwed up the system, which instead of booting from my c-drive (NVMe SSD) went looking on my system and found my old c-drive, which I have installed as a data drive and forgotten to rename (Doh! it is now Windows-old). After that I found no way to persuade the BIOS to boot from the NVMe, so I reinstalled windows, all from scratch (But this time windows would only let me update to 20H2) - No difference.
I have studied the BIOS manual, but I am still a little bit uncertain what precisely are the bios settings you want me to look at

Thank you again for your proposals.

Reactions: Lutfij

Graybeard-2000

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021

Ralston18

Titan

Any third party applications or utilities being used for power saving and/or configuration?

Try the following cmdlet

Results from my computer:

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
-----------------------------------
Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced)
Power Scheme GUID: 49ef8fc0-bb7f-488e-b6a0-f1fc77ec649b (Dell)
Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance) *
Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a (Power saver)
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

An asterick shows the active power plan.

= = = =

Try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://beebom.com/what-is-dism-tool-windows-10-how-to-use-it/

Objective being to eliminate possible Windows' problems.

Solution

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome!

I'm curious to understand why you're only allowed to update to 20H2...?Are you working with an older installer for the OS? If so, you can fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. The reason I'm asking so, is due to the fact that people using the older installers tend to report issues/faults/corruption in the OS.

As for your drives, this did lead me to think;
went looking on my system and found my old c-drive, which I have installed as a data drive and forgotten to rename
That you might not have completely removed the older OS from the older migrated HDD. If they were just carried over without any manipulation, I'd try and backup all data from migrated drives then format them to rid any other remnants of the older OS install.

Graybeard-2000

Prominent
Jul 5, 2021
SOLVED!
(I sincerely hope!!)

So I went on tweaking various settings and finally under advanced power settings/sleep, I switched off 'allow hybrid sleep' and that did the trick!

After sleep all HDDs are present and accounted for.

Try the following cmdlet

I'm setting the power savings in Windows advanced power settings. No third party apps involved.
I'm curious to understand why you're only allowed to update to 20H2...?Are you working with an older installer for the OS? If so, you can fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. The reason I'm asking so, is due to the fact that people using the older installers tend to report issues/faults/corruption in the OS.

As for your drives, this did lead me to think;
went looking on my system and found my old c-drive, which I have installed as a data drive and forgotten to rename
That you might not have completely removed the older OS from the older migrated HDD. If they were just carried over without any manipulation, I'd try and backup all data from migrated drives then format them to rid any other remnants of the older OS install.
I am working from a USB fresh install of windows, downloaded some two months ago from Microsoft. First time I installed it it allowed the update to 21H1 as an extra update. When I installed it last night - and did all the updates, it did no longer offer 21H1...
And you're right. There might be some old bits around. But the problem also occured when I unplugged both of the old HDDs. As it seems to be solved (fingers crossed), I'll keep your advice in mind should the problem come back.

Thank you to both of you, @lutfi and @Ralston18 for your help and great knowledge and ideas!

Last edited: