[SOLVED] Toshiba, noise when seek is normal? + toshiba tool not detecting

fladramon

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Toshiba 4tb x300 I checked about toshiba in ...blaze website and has low failures rates,
it is quiet when not working but when it has to seek data, or to play a game
it sounds more than the fans. If this is normal, its ok. Noise > Fail

I downloaded the toshiba tool but it cant detect the hdd
the irony is that in toshiba website > support > x300 they have link for that tool
Anyone has an idea?

(seagate tool finds the hdd fine both on the slow and the fast test)

fladramon

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
Somehow I got relieved from your answer. Obviously, its not making this noise 24/7 but the company should make something about it. Cause their manual says low noise, but their website on X300 section says only models X300 12 TB, 14 TB και 16 ΤΒ which are made of He (Hellium). On their manual I bet they measured db from the "He"models. If they dared to add the desibels from the lower size HDD's they would have problem selling. So, it seems all companies are hiding something db, speed, fail rate, SMR/nas etc

The Hdd came on a silver alouminium bag, no plastic bubbles, or this box from your video. Shame. I cant think why, except the differencies of EU/US market policies. Whats your opinion people?

Last edited:

popatim

Titan
That box is the Retail version of the drive. If you just got a silver bag then it is a bulk/oem version. The vendor should have packaged it properly for shipping to you. I try to only buy retail versions after having 4 drive orders in a row come in poorly packaged and the drives damaged.