News Toshiba Officially Steps Away from PC Market

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
I'm surprised they were still in the market too. They lied about 1.2 million in profits, but what really happened to make them mislead investors?

Aug 8, 2020
I'm not surprised. As a consumer, you haven't been able to buy Toshiba laptops for a few years.

Not sure how it has been in the North American market but in the Asia Pacific Region (Australia) its been one of the leading brands of consumer laptops even up to this year. HP, Dell and Lenovo do seem to have taken a bit of a lead of late though, although more notably in non-consumer markets.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
not good :( Toshiba had the best Keyboard before thinkpad was around .. made the first Color TFT notebook , The Tecra was the best notebook around for business ...

WHY ? ThinkPad is not as good as IBM days , Lenovo changed the Legendary Keyboard ...

and now no more Tecra .. this is really Annoying.

Chung Leong

Reputable
Dec 6, 2019
Not sure how it has been in the North American market but in the Asia Pacific Region (Australia) its been one of the leading brands of consumer laptops even up to this year. HP, Dell and Lenovo do seem to have taken a bit of a lead of late though, although more notably in non-consumer markets.

Toshiba laptops have been extinct in Europe for some time. The brand is pretty dead here.

PapaCrazy

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Man, not much love here for Toshiba. My first laptop was a T2000, it felt cutting edge and lasted for atleast a decade. Toshiba might be a shadow of its former self, but still sad to see them go.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
Toshiba used to have a solid home entertainment market of DVD players and TV's. They bet way too much money on HD-DVD and never recovered when that crashed and burned. I am not surprised about this.

I'll say what I said on a FB page.

Toshiba hasn't made a good quality grade laptop in a while. Everyone i know who has them either has issues with hard drive failure (I stay away from Toshiba hard drives, and even weary of their SSD's. If i get a Dell with a toshiba drive in it i swap it out right away). Too many of their screw mounts break at the hinges all the time, i'm super gluing/epoying them all the time. My 13 year old dell which I used everyday for 10 years still works to this day. Finally stopped lugging it around bc boss got me a nice 14 inch dell 2 in 1 which is like 1/3 the weight XD

SonoraTechnical

Reputable
May 28, 2020
I quite like my Toshiba Sattelite with it's humble Core i5 CPU, but nice 14" 1920x1080 screen. I put a 512MB Crucial SSD and 16GB of Ram... and it is still a very relevant machine though purchased in 2014. Nice polished metal look. Decent speakers. Windows 8 and all of the stuff ware went out the minute a pre-release of Windows10 was available... Good machine 6+ years strong...

LTL

Jan 15, 2021
You can still buy Toshiba Laptops to this day from Best Buy. I have a Satellite myself and it has been the best laptop I ever had. Used everyday for a couple of hours. Replacing it now after 6 years, but I will always have fond memories of it.