Toshiba or Pioneer

BGates2B

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would like to add a DVD as a secondary to my master. I found both a Toshiba and a Pioneer 16X DVD for $65 USD. I know that the Pioneer has a great write-up, but I know Toshiba makes good DVD's as well.

Someone told me the Toshiba is better because it has a digital audio output where as the Pioneer doesn't

So, which one do you all consider to be better?

Thanks,
Mark

Intel D815EEA
Pentium 3 800EB
256MB PC 133
Hercules ProphetIIMX
SoundBlaster Live

G

I've heard the Pioneer is very loud... I'm in the same boat here and don't know what to pick.

Wayne

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I personally prefer the Toshibas... just my preference.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

I have a Pioneer 16x52x
do not get it
1) CD's melt
really the CD's get really HOT!!!
and it is not that loud

novice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Which one is better though (Pioneer Slot or Tray)? Since I was gonna get the tray version but I heard you guys say that the slot version has the digital output. SO, does the digital output do any good? Is the tray (dvd-116) a new model or the same as slot (dvd-106s)? Any which one do you recommend? Thanks guys!

G

Well, 116 is not more than 106, at least as far as Pioneer DVD models go. :) 105 is essentially the same as 115, and likewise 106 is essentially the same as 116, except that the one with a 0 as the second digit is a slot model, and one with a 1 is a tray model. Also, the slot models do have the digital sound output, while the tray models don't.

Leo

G

I got the Pioneer 16x 116 tray load, works great for me. I dont know about the melting CDs...it never happened to me. It may be a tab bit louder than regular drives, but not so much that it will bother you when watching a DVD.
Go ahead and get it, or if you need the Digital output, get the slot version.