[SOLVED] Toshiba portege z30 screws on ssd stuck

Oct 12, 2022
I'm trying to remove the SSD but I can't get out the screws attaching it to the motherboard. Pic below; the screws are not completely stripped, but I can't get a grip. Tried rubber band, didn't work. Not going to risk superglueing the screw to the motherboard. Would W40 work?
Wg5Mkas.jpg
ga0IMET.jpg

Solution
IMO the issue is more of you not using the right screw head on screwdriver.

I can't tell what kind of screw it exactly is, but looks to be either Philips PH0 or PH1.

From right side, 3rd or 4th:

71tkngFg5vL.jpg

If you do use incompatible screw head, you'll round the screw, where only fix would be drilling the screw out. But that, most likely, will drill hole to MoBo (PCB) underneath it as well, if you go too deep with a drill.

Screwdriver head must have snug fit with screw. Any play means too small and when it doesn't bottom out, it's too big of a head.

Oh W40 may short circuit things, since it's conductive liquid. And i doubt that you can apply it without flowing to MoBo (PCB).

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
IMO the issue is more of you not using the right screw head on screwdriver.

I can't tell what kind of screw it exactly is, but looks to be either Philips PH0 or PH1.

From right side, 3rd or 4th:

71tkngFg5vL.jpg

If you do use incompatible screw head, you'll round the screw, where only fix would be drilling the screw out. But that, most likely, will drill hole to MoBo (PCB) underneath it as well, if you go too deep with a drill.

Screwdriver head must have snug fit with screw. Any play means too small and when it doesn't bottom out, it's too big of a head.

Oh W40 may short circuit things, since it's conductive liquid. And i doubt that you can apply it without flowing to MoBo (PCB).

Reactions: CountMike
Solution

TRENDING THREADS