Toshiba Recalls 41,000 Laptops Over Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Wow, thats scary stuff when something you could have in your lap gets hot enough to burn you or even catch fire as some Sony's have in the past.

I just hope for those people's sake that Toshiba's customer service has improved over the years.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Have they ever made laptops that do not overheat? I swear....it seems like toshiba has never had a well cooled laptop.....and I am thinking back to the P4 days

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
I like it when companies are willing to be open and honest about problems like this.

I'm more likely to buy a Toshiba now, because I feel that if there is a defect they would respond appropriately.

thaisport

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
I've had Toshiba laptops in the past and never had an issue. My P105 lasted my 5 years while my wife's A25 lasted her 8 years.

G

Just found out tonight I have to send both mine off. I knew one had a issue because it melted all around the charger plug in and burned my leg...... Didn't know they had a recall till I seen this.. Sat on the phone with them for a hour, in 4 days I should get to boxes to send them back to them.. After they receive them it will be another 10 days before I get them back.. LOVELY!!!

theoutbound

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Congratulations to Toshiba for doing this recall and taking care of the problem quickly. So often we hear about companies trying to hide potential recall problems Fight Club style, it's nice when you see one doing it right.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Dear Laptop oems,

Please stop cutting corners, please.

Thank you
Customer

P.s. I returned a HP mini 210 the other day due to the touch pad sticking AND more importantly, the fan is ALWAYS on. Even if you disable the damn bios option, it's still on. Modify the power settings and set everything to low, still on. Doh.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Have they ever made laptops that do not overheat? I swear....it seems like toshiba has never had a well cooled laptop.....and I am thinking back to the P4 days[/citation]

Yes. We use a whole load of them in work and not one has overheated. Thanks

[citation][nom]thaisport[/nom]I've had Toshiba laptops in the past and never had an issue. My P105 lasted my 5 years while my wife's A25 lasted her 8 years.[/citation]

Same here.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I would suppose that 41,000 units represents a small percentage of their total volume sold among all of these product lines. That information is a little hard to come by though

G

My Toshiba L505D is a great laptop. Unfortunately, I'll never buy Toshiba again, because they deliberately sabotaged their BIOS to prevent XP and Linux from running on it. The Linux kernel developers eventually developed a BIOS hack to fix the laptop, but all the same, I'll vote with my wallet for companies whose products work with Linux out-of-the-box.

G

got a Toshiba Satellite 2100 cdt has 10+ years and still working,used mostly for messenger,downloads,email.no overheating problems.gorgeous low res display.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]Dear Laptop oems, Please stop cutting corners, please.Thank youCustomerP.s. I returned a HP mini 210 the other day due to the touch pad sticking AND more importantly, the fan is ALWAYS on. Even if you disable the damn bios option, it's still on. Modify the power settings and set everything to low, still on. Doh.[/citation]
I'd say that Toshiba did a good job handling this. I don't know of many companies that would actually recall 41,000 units if they found there was a problem with them *cough* Apple *cough*...

jhyukkang

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2007
what could be the reason for overheating plug to the poing to melting?. first thing came to my mind is + - are shorting?
like u melt a battery when u have it touch its + - together?

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]Dear Laptop oems, Please stop cutting corners, please.Thank youCustomerP.s. I returned a HP mini 210 the other day due to the touch pad sticking AND more importantly, the fan is ALWAYS on. Even if you disable the damn bios option, it's still on. Modify the power settings and set everything to low, still on. Doh.[/citation]
WTF?! No wonder RMAs take forever...too many idiots send their computers for "repairs"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS