Toshiba recovery to out of box state, windows update not installing sp1

pawsrbjb

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
Used the recovery disc like I did once before without issue. This time Toshiba's limited browser will not allow me to any web sites or to update internet explorer to latest. All updates up to SP1 downloaded and installed successfully. SP1 says it installed correctly in about 30 seconds but keeps showing up as needing to be installed. If I check the connectivity of the network it says everything is fine. Thinking i need to download internet explorer and sp packages onto media and then try to install that way. Any other ideas? Thanks

You are right, IE 9 is all that Vista will install, the answer I gave was not for Vista, the upgrade pack is for Windows 7 also.

OK, for posterity's sake - the Windows Update Catalog also has fixes and support for Vista and Windows/XP - even at this late stage.

How to download updates that include drivers and hotfixes from the Windows Update Catalog

Note the caveat:
Important This content is designed for an advanced computer user. We recommend that only advanced users and administrators download updates from the Windows Update Catalog. If you are not an advanced user or an administrator, please visit the following Microsoft Web site to download updates directly:
http://update.microsoft.com/

pawsrbjb

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

pawsrbjb

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
I followed the advice which was enough to get me going in the correct direction. I know that IE9 is as far as you can go on vista so I downloaded to a usb drive on another computer sp1 and installed and then IE8 followed by IE9 and then let the updates run their course. All good now and thank you.