Toshiba, Samsung and Lenovo Leading Windows on ARM

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
I saw a Windows 7 tablet the other day with an i5 @ 1.6GHz from Samsung /w 128GB SSD, 2GB RAM, but sadly the TERRIBLE and I mean it too.. TERRIBLE Intel IGP (HD4000).. Which has FPS issues in the Windows 7 chess game..

Still it was amazing imho.

I really hope Nvidia's Kal-El performs on a similar level with Windows 8, because what I saw from that Samsung tablet is exactly the kind of experience I want from a device like that.

dasper

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
Microsoft has instructed Nvidia, Quaslcomm and Texas Instruments to choose two partners for Windows on ARM products.
Quaslcomm feels like a name I have not heard in a long time, if not ever.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]nieur[/nom]please stop using that picture of steve ballmer again and again[/citation]

Hahaha I agree. And putting his image inside different device screens does not count!

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]dasper[/nom]Quaslcomm feels like a name I have not heard in a long time, if not ever.[/citation]

Maybe their highly popular SNAPDRAGON series of SoCs rings a bell.

jjmch

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
I heard Microsoft has two programs. The first is a chip vendor has to choose 2 OEMs and Microsoft promises some supports. The other is a chip vendor chooses as many OEMs as it wants but Microsoft promises little supports. Asus must work with one of the three vendors under the later program.

ethanolson

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
This cracks me up because the wrong people are getting the attention. Let's look back into the USA for a moment. HP told Microsoft two years ago when having a cloud discussion that the future of computing is on ARM... even in the datacenter. Microsoft took them seriously and showed to an internal group over a year ago that Windows 7 was ported to the iPad. Everyone at HP knew about it a full six months before the public heard any rumblings. HP has recently released info on Project Moonshot which aims to take the nPar of Superdomes from Itanium into the ARM space. Microsoft will have a baked kernal for ARM in 2013 that is datacenter and cloud ready. The consumer side is there to help all this along.

Status
Not open for further replies.