Toshiba Satellite A100 shuts off after 30 seconds

Status
Not open for further replies.

samltd

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Hello everyone,
I have a Toshiba Satellite A100 laptop and it shuts down after 30-40 sec after turning on.
The fan spins OK.

Here's the specs:
Intel Core Duo T2250 (1.73GHz, 533MHz FSB, L1 Cache 32KB/32KB, L2 Cache 2MB)
RAM 2x512 MB DDR2 (533MHz)
HDD 80GB, 9.5mm height, S-ATA, 5400rpm.
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Intel Wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g) 3945ABG
10/100 integrated Ethernet LAN
V.92 56K Data/Fax Modem Toshiba software modem
DVD Super-Multi Double Layer Drive

It shuts down:
with or without the VGA cable connected;
loading windows, if only enter the BIOS screen or a live CD linux/windows;
with all components removed or connected (all or combined)

Tried the following:
removed memory, HDD, WiFi card, modem, DVD, keyboard, touchpad
resoldering the CPU and GPU using hot air
cleaned the heatsink and applied new thermal paste
tried different power supply and battery
checked the motherboard for blown/burnt components, especially capacitors - nothing appears to be blown/burnt.

I'm out of ideas.
Any help is greatly appreciated

samltd

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Thanks for reply.
I can't do the test, as the laptop turns off after 30 sec, no matter what. For the few seconds the laptop stays on, the memtest don't show anyting suspect, but the test runs for 10 sec, then the laptop turns off.
All components were tested in other laptop and all work ok: screen RAM, HDD, DVD, wireless card, modem, keyboard.
I suspect a capacitor on the board, but it's hard to say which one.

dirtdiver

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Sounds like either a bad power supply/battery shorting out--or a bad board. As you said, it is hard to say where on the board your issue is. Have you tried getting a new board, or seeing if you can find a "broken screen" laptop of the same model on eBay or something? Sometimes picking up a spare for parts isn't that bad of an idea!

If you have no way of getting a new board you may want to consider sending it back to the manufacturer for service...which is a pain--but a last resort nonetheless.

andymjoyce

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Are you sure that the CPU is not over heating? I have had the same problem with my Toshiba sat 30. Have just purchased some akasa thermal compound hi-spec 450 and some akasa TIM Clean [CPU and heatsink cleaner for before the thermal compound is layered on. Hope this works.

enosdan

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011

Please did you sort that out?

My machine was not powering up. After I took it apart I realized it was because of a faulty memory module, but it now exibhits the same behaviour as yours: it shuts down after less than a minute no matter what I do.

Please mail me at toki_at_fastmail_dot_fm

Thanks, regards
--
Enos

Baz369

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
Same problem.
A100 PN PSAANA-04E005 & found that the cpu is crook (intel Centrino Duo T2250 & from memory the socket is 478B) (system runs for a while then shuts down but it intermittently) . Its somewhat stable if I turn off one layer in bios I suspect it been over heated.

Baz369

Reputable
Nov 15, 2015
Same problem.
A100 PN PSAANA-04E005 & found that the cpu is crook (intel Centrino Duo T2250 & from memory the socket is 478B) (system runs for a while then shuts down but it intermittently) . Its somewhat stable if I turn off one layer in bios I suspect it been over heated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS