Question Toshiba Satellite BIOS password problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 26, 2020
I have a Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5300 laptop that worked fine previously, but has been stored for a few months. I never set a BIOS password for it, but when I took it out a couple of days ago, it would not boot at all without one. It doesn't make sense, but it seems something must have reset itself while sitting on the shelf. After I enter three incorrect passwords, it just shuts down. When I first turn it on, it briefly displays a logo for Insyde, so I assume that is the BIOS. There is also a message saying to press F2 to go to the setup utility or F12 for the boot manager, but pressing either of those keys will not get me by the password. I am not specifically trying to get into the BIOS. I only want the computer to be able to boot, which it will not, without me first supplying a password I do not have and have never needed in the past. I tried booting from a DVD, which doesn't work either. I can hear the drive spinning, so I think booting from a DVD must be enabled, but I am still stuck on a screen requesting a password. I have searched everywhere online without finding anything that works. The Toshiba support site is of no help either, and actually provides a link to Tom's Hardware for support. I am at the point where I am ready to disassemble the machine if I thought that would solve the problem. I have nothing to lose. Thanks for any help you can provide, even if it is only guidance showing me where else I might look for a possible solution.

It's understandable, and possible, but we can't help with bypassing security whether the unit belongs to you or not, here. We have no way of knowing if that is actually yours or somebody else's so by rule we must avoid helping in such situations. Contact the manufacturer for assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.