Question Toshiba Satellite c55 & Windows 8.1 - how to disable touchpad sensor?

Jul 24, 2019
I've got a Toshiba Satellite c55 laptop. It's running Windows 8.1, and the touchpad sensor is so over-reactive that it's wrecking my efforts to do computer work. I can't do anything without my cursor moving around, or without my browser being resized (zoomed), and other annoyances.

Previously, when I had this problem, I solved it by pressing FN+F5. Another thing I used in the past was FN+F5. Generally speaking, those solutions worked. But not anymore.

The touchpad sensor problem started fresh last week, after I erased my Windows operating system and restored the laptop to factory defaults, with a fresh operating system. That's the first time in several years that I deleted and reinstalled Windows 8.1 on this machine. I suspect that Toshiba must have automatically installed some patch, or some update, or something obnoxious "improvement" (automatic updates) that makes the touchpad impossible to disable.

Can someone here please help me out? I'm going nuts. I need to permanently disable this touchpad and sensor.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Jul 24, 2019
Just disable it in Device Manager or, and probably better, go to the settings for the touchpad and set things such that it is automatically disabled if an external pointing device is plugged in.

There is no way to disable the touchpad sensor. That's the first thing I tried to do. As best as I know, these laptops are constructed so that the touchpad sensor can't be disabled. That's what I discovered in past years when I had this problem.

Do you know otherwise? Then please explain how I can disable this software/hardware.

Jul 24, 2019
If this follows the same layout as my father's Toshiba (he preferred a trackball anyway), all you need to do is remove the keyboard and detach the touchpad ribbon cable from the motherboard. Fold a small piece of paper over the connector end and tape in in place. Reassemble and you're done.

I have no idea how to do something like that. It involves taking the computer apart, which is a job for a technician. There's got to be a better way, no?

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I have that same machine here at my house. The easiest thing to do is to plug in an external pointing device then open Control Panel, Mouse, and get to the properties for the Synaptics touchpad device (and the Device Properties tab) and check the box that disables the touchpad if an external pointing device is connected.

This should solve your problem if your intent is to just always use an external pointing device.

Jul 24, 2019
I have that same machine here at my house. The easiest thing to do is to plug in an external pointing device then open Control Panel, Mouse, and get to the properties for the Synaptics touchpad device (and the Device Properties tab) and check the box that disables the touchpad if an external pointing device is connected.

This should solve your problem if your intent is to just always use an external pointing device.

I just did exactly what you prescribed. For the moment, it appears to have worked. I'll give it a day or two, to make sure that the problem doesn't' reappear. I'll then report back, to confirm that this solution resolved the issue.

Thanks.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
The problem should not reappear so long as you have an external pointing device connected.

Have you gone through all the Synaptics Touchpad settings, bumping the sensitivity up for "heavy touch?" I realize your touchpad may be malfunctioning, but if it isn't you can generally make it a lot less sensitive by increasing the touch settings for heavy touch and turning on the filters for palms hitting the touchpad.

Jul 24, 2019
It's been a full day now, and I haven't had any more problems with the annoying touchpad sensor. I can confirm that your recommendation worked perfectly.

No, I didn't try any of that other stuff. I'm tech savvy.