Toshiba Satellite Disk Drive Isn't Working

georgiaaa13

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
About 3 months ago, I bought a Toshiba Satellite L50D-B laptop. I use the disk drive in this laptop all the time, but when I went to put the disk in this morning, it didn't work.
The disk starts spinning for about half a second then just stops.
Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Because this could be a mechanical issue its tough to diagnose. Can you tell us what you have done to troubleshoot, such as have you tried a disc that you know works in there (youve used in the past) and as well have you fully rebooted the computer at least once? This may be unfortunately a mechanical failure that needs to be resolved by toshiba.

georgiaaa13

Reputable
Mar 15, 2015
I put a DVD in that I knew worked and it just started spinning then stopped. I have tried restarting the laptop, uninstalled the driver and reinstalled and cleaned the disk tray using a cotton bud, I am not sure what else to try?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I am assuming the computer is giving no indication that it is trying to read the disc (or any sort of error), If that is the case, but the driver is loaded and says the drive is functioning, its likely a mechanical issue in the drive itself. Basically it starts spinning the disc but the reader laser is not pulling any data out, and so it assumes the disc is blank and once it gets to a certain point it just quits. You should contact Toshiba about a warranty repair/replacement.

Shekari

Reputable
Mar 18, 2015

A friend of mine is also having issues with a Toshiba Satellite disk drive of roughly the same age at the moment, starting within the last week. I've tried using an external USB disk drive which I know works on it and it seems to experience the same issue as the laptops drive does. The computer shows no indication that there's a disk in either drive, and the drives seem to power cycle.