[SOLVED] Toshiba Satellite P50 freezes when installing AMD drivers

Marcelo69

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Toshiba Satellite P50 freezes when installing AMD drivers
Hi all:
I have a Toshiba Satelite P50 B 118
I have replaced the HD and reinstalled Windos 10
When I try to install the driver for the AMD Card it freezes before finishing the installation (it heats up quickly and the fan stays on top)
I have tried it :
Update from Device Manager
Downloading drivers from AMD
Driver Booster.
The result is the same; when reaching 70-80% of the installation, it hangs.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your time

Below I summarize the characteristics of the equipment

PROCESSOR
Intel® Core ™ i7 4710HQ Processor (2.50 / 3.50 GHz Turbo, 1600 MHz FSB, 6 MB L3) Quad Core and Intel HM86 Chipset

MEMORY
8GB (4 + 4GB) 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM. Expandable up to 16GB. Maximum memory per slot 8 GB (8GB x 2)

SCREEN
Toshiba TruBrite TFT widescreen (16: 9) with 15.6 "FULL HD (39.6 cm.) LED technology, 1,920 x 1,080, with 300 NITs and 8ms response.

HDD
1TB Serial ATA 5,400 rpm with disk protection system (3D motion sensor that parks the heads in case of falls)

GRAPHICS
AMD Radeon ™ R9 M265X graphics (2GB dedicated DDR5). With shared graphics memory Intel HD Graphics 4600 (when dedicated graphics is not active).

CD / DVD / FDD
DVD-SuperMulti Double Layer (DVD ± R / RW / RAM / ± R9) SATA.

KEYBOARD
Anti-fingerprint backlit mosaic-style flat keyboard and separate numeric keypad

MOUSE
Integrated Click Pad with multi-touch control (10.5 x 65 cm)

COMMUNICATIONS
Gigabit Ethernet 10/100 / 1000Mbit, Wireless LAN 802.11 ac + a / b / g / n, Intel WiDi v.4.2, Bluetooth 4.0

SOUND
DTS Sound 24-bit HD sound system and integrated 2x Harman Kardon® stereo speaker system (2 x 1.5W). Sleep & Music (via audio input) and Slip Stream technology

PORTS
HD webcam with two built-in microphones (for ambient noise cancellation), 4x USB 3.0 (one of them with Sleep'n Charge technology), multi-card slot (SD max. 2GB, Mini SD & Micro SD (with adapter), SC-HC (max. 32GB), SDXC with UHS-1 and 2 support (max. 2TB), MMC max 2GB), headphones (stereo), 2x audio output, HDMI output (supports 3D content and Ultra HD 4K, on external displays) , RJ-45.

EXPANSION
2 x RAM memory slots (occupied by seire).

Reactions: beyan1985
Solution
I have the same problem and I tried to fix it with the exact same procedures you describe, but to no avail.
The laptop now only works if I have disabled the AMD GPU by device management.
It boots in normal mode with no problem. It uses the Intel card.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Driver Booster.
Why are you using this? You should avoid third party apps.

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop's motherboard. I think you should source the drivers from Toshiba's support site for your laptop. Often times the drivers for laptops are bespoke.

On another note, which version of Windows 10 are you working with?

Reactions: Marcelo69

Marcelo69

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
I have tried installing Windows versions 1903, 2004 and 20H2 with the same result.
On Toshiab's website I didn't find drivers for the AMD graphics card. So I tried with the drivers downloaded directly from the AMD website or using Drivers Boost.
Following your recommendations I have seen that the Bios is outdated.
I'm going to update it tonight and I'll tell you the results
I cross my fingers

Thank you very much for your time
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Driver Booster.
Why are you using this? You should avoid third party apps.

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop's motherboard. I think you should source the drivers from Toshiba's support site for your laptop. Often times the drivers for laptops are bespoke.

On another note, which version of Windows 10 are you working with?

Feb 24, 2021
I have the same problem and I tried to fix it with the exact same procedures you describe, but to no avail.
The laptop now only works if I have disabled the AMD GPU by device management.
It boots in normal mode with no problem. It uses the Intel card.

Solution

Marcelo69

Prominent
Feb 1, 2021
Sorry for my very late response. I have had the laptop in two technical services and the diagnostic was the same..."Buy a new laptop" Searching in the web I found a lot of user with this fail. The problem are a overheating of Graphic chip and fail of welds
Now I followed your idea and desactive AMD card and will check it