Question Toshiba Satellite S55T-B5273NR No Display

May 24, 2019
Hello,

I need help for my Toshiba Satellite S55T-B5273NR. It’s currently running Windows 10.

When I power on the laptop my screen isn’t turning on and there’s no beeps or anything to signal errors. The keyboard lights up and I can hear the fans running, just no display.

It had been doing this a few times before but sometimes after several resets it’d finally turn on a load. When I was able to get in, I updated all of the drivers and Windows updates. That didn’t solve the issue. I recently tried disabling a few start-up processes, Chrome and Adobe, and turned off the fast loading option and now my screen won’t come on at all no matter what I try.

I’ve already taken out the battery and tried holding the power button for 60s, I’ve tried restarting 4 times to get the boot/error menu, I’ve even put in the old hard drive in case it was software related and that didn’t solve it. I’ve also tried Win Key + Ctrl + Shift + B to reset the display driver and even connected it to an external monitor with no success.

The only solution I have yet to try is removing and testing the RAM sticks, otherwise I think it’s a motherboard failure or graphics card failure.

Lutfij

Titan
Try removing the ram sticks and wipe the (gold)contacts(pins on the ram sticks with an eraser. Then try and ground yourself after contacting the board to discharge any static on the board as well. You might want to try powering up the laptop after discharging using the power adapter(not the battery). Speaking of battery, do you have access to the CMOS battery for the board(on the laptop)?

May 24, 2019
Try removing the ram sticks and wipe the (gold)contacts(pins on the ram sticks with an eraser. Then try and ground yourself after contacting the board to discharge any static on the board as well. You might want to try powering up the laptop after discharging using the power adapter(not the battery). Speaking of battery, do you have access to the CMOS battery for the board(on the laptop)?

Just a regular pencil eraser?

I did see something about the CMOS battery on google as a potential failure point, I'll have to check when I take off the back cover again.

I second reseating (or replacing) the RAM, however I don't promote using an eraser to clean the contacts. Clean them, sure, but they rarely require it. 99.9% isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth would be more efficient. Disconnecting the CMOS battery briefly to reset things isn't a bad idea, either.

As long as the laptop is powering on, there's still hope. Right now it's not POSTing, which could mean just about anything.

May 24, 2019
I second reseating (or replacing) the RAM, however I don't promote using an eraser to clean the contacts. Clean them, sure, but they rarely require it. 99.9% isopropyl alcohol and a lint free cloth would be more efficient. Disconnecting the CMOS battery briefly to reset things isn't a bad idea, either.

As long as the laptop is powering on, there's still hope. Right now it's not POSTing, which could mean just about anything.

Unfortunately I cannot find the CMOS battery. Reseating the RAM also did not work.

The fact the display doesn't come on when using an external monitor wasn't good either, I think it has to be the motherboard.