[SOLVED] Toshiba Satellite starts up but doesn't boot ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1ckr1ck

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016
I have an issue with a Toshiba Satellite L670D-13F. It turns on ok, the dvd drive makes the customary couple of clicks, and then... nothing. The Toshiba splash screen doesn't appear, the hard drive led doesn't show on the front panel. It just sits with the white power led on. I've tried removing the battery, tried the SHIFT+F8+POWER trick. At first, when I replaced the system disk with another non-system disk, it did turn on. But not anymore. I wanted to upgrade it to an SSD, but this isn't being recognised either.

Could someone could give me a bit more advice on what else I could do to revive the laptop?

Solution
if it has this : ATI Radeon™ HD 4250 Graphics its probably a goner.

You might be able to even boot after reheating it, or blocking the airways and letting it run 5min then booting again but that chip has design flaw means its going to fail again. Might also boot "sometimes" , then next time you get black screen or even worse problems like not recodnizing missing ram for example.

AlienPsyTing

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2014
unplug the power, remove the battery and hold the power button down for 2 minutes - see what happens

then

try reseating the RAM but before doing so make sure you have discharged any static or better yet use an anti-static wrist strap and mat

M1ckr1ck

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2016
unplug the power, remove the battery and hold the power button down for 2 minutes - see what happens

then

try reseating the RAM but before doing so make sure you have discharged any static or better yet use an anti-static wrist strap and mat

All the guides I read say to hold the power button down for one minute (then plug the psu, then battery back in.) then try to boot. Does the extra minute make much of a difference?

Okay I tried that. No difference. Its odd though how 2 days ago, it responded when a non-system hdd was put in. Then today it doesn't do anything, even with a brand new ssd.

Last edited:

AlienPsyTing

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2014
All the guides I read say to hold the power button down for one minute (then plug the psu, then battery back in.) then try to boot. Does the extra minute make much of a difference?

Okay I tried that. No difference. Its odd though how 2 days ago, it responded when a non-system hdd was put in. Then today it doesn't do anything, even with a brand new ssd.
it doesn't make a difference it's that I couldn't remember how long so i thought for the sake of an extra minute it may be worth it

if it has this : ATI Radeon™ HD 4250 Graphics its probably a goner.

You might be able to even boot after reheating it, or blocking the airways and letting it run 5min then booting again but that chip has design flaw means its going to fail again. Might also boot "sometimes" , then next time you get black screen or even worse problems like not recodnizing missing ram for example.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.