Toshiba Ships Thin 256GB Blade X-Gale SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gramps

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004
Looks just like a couple of sticks of RAM (I suppose they're not really that much different).

Might need a few SSD slots on my next motherboard...

formin

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
SSD are going to start looking more and more like traditional RAM chips
Once they start using a wider bus the pins will be on the long side
and the data rates of future SSDs will prob cause ram to disappear

nick8191

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
I don't think we will be seeing too much of this next year - at least not in these higher storage ranges. The price of SSD isn't going down fast enough that I could imagine people flocking to buy laptops containing this technology (not to mention that most people don't know the difference between a SSD and a STD). From my experience, most people looking for smaller and slimmer laptops are also looking not to spend too much cash. It's a shame though, I have been using solid state drives in my PC's for a while now and the performance increase + noise reduction is simply amazing! I wish that this would become a mainstream solution sooner, but manufacturers are going to need to do better on pricing (whether or not that is possible at this time is a different story).

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Jeez, looks like sticks of RAM. I can see a lot of customers confused. "This is REALLLLLLLY expensive RAM, it must be good RAM."

"Why won't it fit in thee slot?!"

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Jeez, looks like sticks of RAM. I can see a lot of customers confused. "This is REALLLLLLLY expensive RAM, it must be good RAM.""Why won't it fit in thee slot?!"[/citation]

comparing it to ram its probably really cheap in comparison $/Gb

andrewfy

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
There's an analysis over at the daily circuit that puts it in the perspective of Gigabytes per gram, comparing it to the 3.5" 3TB Western Digital as well as the 2.5" 640GB Seagate Momentus with surprising results.

andrewfy

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]formin[/nom]SSD are going to start looking more and more like traditional RAM chipsOnce they start using a wider bus the pins will be on the long sideand the data rates of future SSDs will prob cause ram to disappear[/citation]

Actually there's a good analysis over at the daily circuit from a couple days ago that compares DRAM to SSD that explains why this will probably never happen -

Status
Not open for further replies.