Toshiba Stellite S70-B-10t overheating

Urumizawa

Reputable
May 17, 2016
hello everyone.

I couldn't find the technical description for this product anywhere in english so here it is in french
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 M265X
CPU: Processeur Intel® Core™ i7-4700HQ (2,40 GHz)

since i upgraded to windows 10 I started having some overheating issues(and by that I mean that the computer shuts down and stays like that for about 15 mins before i can turn it on again). but they were not that frequent (maybe once or twice a week) I just ignored it and related it to driver issues. that was right after I upgraded so about a year ago.
since then the problem became more and more frequent, at first I got KLIM cool which reduced the overheating frequency considerably. but now even with it running at max speed the computer shuts down in 15 minutes max when i launch a game. without it? well it won't last more than 5 minutes.
even if i am not playing any game the temperature is abnormally high.
I didn't run any temperature monitoring softwares so i can't give exact numbers but i can tell just by touching the surface that it is very hot compared to when i got it about 1.5years ago.

I ve been using air bombs frequently to blow the non existant dust off the fan (non existant because... well nothing comes out). as the tradition says you should open it up and clean the inside each year, so thats what I tried doing but I couldn't figure out how to take out the keyboard so i couldn't, searching in google revealed that in similar laptops, there is a whole at the side where you can stick your finger and push out the keyboard, in mine there are none (reffer to the pictures in the link).

thermal paste maybe?dust inside? I don't know actually.
either way I couldn't figure out how to open it.
it is still under warranty and the customer service suggested bringing the laptop to them so that they can see what's wrong but since I use my laptop often besides gaming I can't stay 15 days/1 month or maybe even more without it.

thank you all in advance.

Solution
The Max temp that CPU can handle is 100'C, so you're getting really close.

You're not seeing anything for your GPU at all? Could you post a screenshot of HWMonitor at load?

Your CPU is really close, and likely the GPU is too - they should throttle performance-wise before they crash your laptop....

A quick google search shows a lot of people having the same issue with S70-B models.
Heat is a problem for all gaming laptops - some handle it better than others.

All I can think here, if you want to avoid sending it in for warranty review, is a good cooling pad to sit it on and a program to run your fans at 100% all the time (if Toshiba don't have one themselves, SpeedFan should do the trick). You should also scale back settings in...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ok, first off, you should never 'ignore' overheating issues - over time that can do some pretty severe damage.

Without running monitoring software, it's difficult to tell what we're dealing with here - CPU or GPU.
Try HWMonitor and see how your CPU core & GPU temps look and report back.

When you're gaming (however briefly), without the cooling in place - can you actually feel the fans exhausting hot air?
It's possible your fan(s) have failed - so the hot air inside the chassis of the laptop is just sitting there with nowhere to go.

Thermal Paste is unlikely to need to be replaced - it doesn't 'dry out' like is commonly believed. Especially not in under 2 years. Blowing air through the vents is a pretty basic measure - ideally you'd be inside the laptop, blowing out - but I'll need to do a bit more research on your specific laptop as to whether that's truly possible.

**As an FYI, if you're still under warranty - you don't want to get into the laptop beyond the accessible components (HDD and RAM, usually) - beyond that likely voids the warranty and, if this laptop is irreparable, you'd want it replaced under warranty**

Where on the laptop specifically is hot to the touch? You might be better served with a cooling pad opposed to the vacuum style cooler you have.

Your OS 'upgrade', did you just run the upgrade within windows, and that was that? Or did you format & clean install the OS afterwards? The upgrade process had quite a few bugs, from high disk useage (ie your hard drive in Task Manager always running near/at 100%) to drive conflicts, that can result in temperature issues.

Urumizawa

Reputable
May 17, 2016

■ for HWmonitor about the CPU it says:
Temperature 0 91ーC (195ーF) [0x9] (Core #0)
Temperature 1 95ーC (203ーF) [0x5] (Package)

I am not sure about the GPU since it says nothing about it but the hardware temperature(i am assuming the overall temperature) is: Temperature 0 94ーC (201ーF) [0xE58] (THRM)

yes i do

the heat is mostly felt at the level of the fan (so the area around the "+" key in the num pad) and it continue to the middle of the pc (if that makes sense). to around the "J" key more precisely, beyond that point its cold as if the laptop was closed.

honestly, i followed the basic windows upgrade procedure and that was it, to keep my files,softwares and such.
speaking of high usage sometimes if I try to do multiple tasks (not complicated tasks but things like launching programs) right after booting it up it might freeze and not respond to anything forcing me to force shut it from the power button which I believe comes from high memory usage

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The Max temp that CPU can handle is 100'C, so you're getting really close.

You're not seeing anything for your GPU at all? Could you post a screenshot of HWMonitor at load?

Your CPU is really close, and likely the GPU is too - they should throttle performance-wise before they crash your laptop....

A quick google search shows a lot of people having the same issue with S70-B models.
Heat is a problem for all gaming laptops - some handle it better than others.

All I can think here, if you want to avoid sending it in for warranty review, is a good cooling pad to sit it on and a program to run your fans at 100% all the time (if Toshiba don't have one themselves, SpeedFan should do the trick). You should also scale back settings in your game(s) to avoid being as demanding on the GPU, reducing it's heat.

That being said though, if you're still under warranty, I'd just suck it up and send it in. You want a functioning laptop - capable of gaming at decent settings. Sacraficing that kind of negates the 'gaming' element of a 'gaming' laptop..

Unless you want to void your warranty and take it all apart to get inside & clean it out fully....

As for Windows 10, I'd definitely recommend a clean install of your OS and drivers - you don't need a license key once Windows 10 is activated on your hardware (just select "skip this step" when installing).
It may be impacting your performance, especially disk useage and memory - I'm not 100% sure how/if it would impact heat, but it certainly won't hurt to clean install.

Create a Windows 10 ISO from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10
It will create a bootable USB or Disk for you if you follow the prompts.
Backup all your data before you proceed.

Solution