Toshiba Thrive Review: The Swiss Army Knife Of Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
User replaceable battery is a big plus for this tablet. That way I can just buy a new one in a few years when it wears out. Instead of having to leave it plugged in all the time.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I call BS on EeePad not having "full size USB port". It does, just it's on the keyboard dock (and if you buy the Transformer without one, you're wasting money, the dock is the big part of Transformer's awesomeness). However, I love the fact that Thrive has SD card reader - most of my devices (e-book reader, cameras, netbook) use SD, not the stupid microSD, so it'd be a big plus.

Huh, Galaxy Tab 10.1 is looking quite poor - doesn't have anything besides the cameras. Shame on Samsung.

acku

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2010
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]I call BS on EeePad not having "full size USB port". It does, just it's on the keyboard dock (and if you buy the Transformer without one, you're wasting money, the dock is the big part of Transformer's awesomeness). However, I love the fact that Thrive has SD card reader - most of my devices (e-book reader, cameras, netbook) use SD, not the stupid microSD, so it'd be a big plus. Huh, Galaxy Tab 10.1 is looking quite poor - doesn't have anything besides the cameras. Shame on Samsung.[/citation]
Galaxy Tab 10.1 supports USB devices and HDMI output but you need to buy the separate adapters.

Cheers,
Andrew Ku
TomsHardware.com

Every time I read a tablet review I keep thinking, man they are pretty; But I really dont know what I would use it for that is worth $500.

Also, surprised that the processors is about 75% graphics, and still cannot do a separate 1080p output. Cloning the screen at low rez should not be that difficult. Netbooks have been able to do 1080p output for years as an extension of the desktop. Sure, they cannot handle video or gaming at that res, but they do just fine with a web page, presentation, or office applications.

Also, I bet 2012-2013 will be a fun time for tablets once win8 is released. My bet is that it will become a race between Apple and MS, and Android will become irrelevant, or for media consumption only.

SinisterSalad

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I picked up the 8GB version a month or so ago when the Egg had a promo going on. I'm a bigger guy, so I like the feel of this. Like Andrew said, it doesn't feel like it's going to slip out of my hands. Hopefully ICS will be available soon for it.

Just wait until someone has a accident and drops it only to find the screen digitizer or lcd panel cracked which is a very common issue. Most tablets are underweight and lack proper protection for the screen and flex to much making it easy to break. Second is removable internal storage for the os. Using internal storage for booting that can't be replaced limits the life of most tablets. Cooling is another issue when the soc starts to heat up performance tends to degrade slightly and the user often feels a hot spot on the back. I think that all those porst listen in this review should be standard on all high end tablets above $200 retail especially the $300+. I currently own three tablets and owned a archos 101 8gb before selling it.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
seems to me that with an acer W500 being in the same price range as the upper models, no one would be buying these.. all the features mentioned here, plus 32gb, Windows7. OK, the battery on mine only lasts 5 hours. So What? I can charge it in the car, at work, just about anywhere. (plus I dont have to worry if there is an AP for that. It is Windows, so of course there is,and it can print, scan, whatever.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
[citation][nom]assassin123[/nom]please ans me[/citation]

Ok, I will bite..
A Swiss Army Knife is a small folding knife, typicaly with several modified "blades" to perform functions such as scissors, saw, awl, etc. it can contain as few as three and up to several dozen attatchments and functions depending on now elaborate the particualr model is. Refered to as a Swiss Army knife , well because it was at one point made similar to a Swiss watch - meaning intricate and detailed, with precise and reliable function.
they are trying to say that the Toshiba Thrive has a lot of functions built into one device.
It really does not have much more than any other similar tablet, but it makes for a point of contention for an article.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
I own a a toshiba thrive. I personally. picked it because of the full size. USB port and the HDMI port p. I planned it on using it in my job but they didn't let me do it.Still I'm pretty satisfied with it. dont have to worry about adapters, but lowered the brightness and the battery lasts the whole afternoon. I barely game in it. though what I don't like is the updates... hopefully it will get the honeycomb 3.2 some day. I don't expect a super tablet out of it. It suits my needs (don't have to carry my laptop to college) , and feel pretty happy wchich is what matters the most, right?

LordConrad

Distinguished
[citation][nom]acku[/nom]Galaxy Tab 10.1 supports USB devices and HDMI output but you need to buy the separate adapters.Cheers,Andrew KuTomsHardware.com[/citation]
But having to carry adapters defeats the purpose of a portable and easy to use tablet.

Galaxy Tab = FAIL

jamesedgeuk2000

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
You guys missed out something pretty big here, not only is it full sized SD but its SDXC! that means you can get an 8GB Thrive and a 64GB SDXC card for less than the cost of a 16GB iPad. Thought it worth pointing out.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jamesedgeuk2000[/nom]You guys missed out something pretty big here, not only is it full sized SD but its SDXC! that means you can get an 8GB Thrive and a 64GB SDXC card for less than the cost of a 16GB iPad. Thought it worth pointing out.[/citation]
Good point well made, and the best bit is you can have a pocket full of 64Gb SD cards, there is a nice credit card shaped holder for 4 cards that can slip into a wallet, 256Gb of removable storage in your back-burner is pretty sweet.

shompa

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Lord Lollipop[/nom]If you want nVidia to rush Tegra 3, don't complain when it comes out buggy.[/citation]
Tegra3 is just a stopgap. Its not a good idea to have 5 ARM cores at 40nm.

Only reason to do this is if you can beat 28nm part by a long time.
Now Nvidia only will have a 2-3 month lead before 28 nm quod core ARM15 SocS (including A6).

A15 have twice the performance then A9.

Look at Tegra2. A5 is up to 5 times faster and is clocked 500-900mhz slower....

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]Every time I read a tablet review I keep thinking, man they are pretty; But I really dont know what I would use it for that is worth $500. [/citation]
Try using your desktop or notebook computer when you are having a hang over all day. Where only laying on your back keeps you from barfing all over the place.

My iPad allowed me to check mail, confirm hotel info, read news that was not possible with my 24" LCD desktop system... or note book.

That you iPad for making me semi-functional.

Gawd I wanted to die that morning.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Too bad for you. Next time don't get yourself into that kind of pig state; maybe you won't need your crapPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.