Toshiba won't restart or shut down normally

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nessnouile

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Hi,

I have an issue with my Toshiba, which runs on Windows 8.1. All of the sudden, it just won't shut down or restart properly. When I try to shut it down normally, it goes well : I get the shutting down screen, then the screen goes black... but the system keeps running. When I try to restart it, it shuts down and makes the same noise it does when I force it to shut down by holding the power button (which is now the only way I can shut it down now).

I browsed forums on the Internet to see what the issue could be, and tried a few things : I ran an anti-Malware program, ran a virus scan with Avast, ran CCleaner. Nothing was found and the issue was not resolved. I tried to restore the computer, but for some reason, it just won't let me. Everytime I try to do it, it says the operation couldn't be completed. I tried shutting the PC down normally in safe mode, but it gets stuck on the Shutting down screen, and I still have to shut it down manually.

I also had this weird issue at the same time : battery light started flashing when I unplugged the PC, but I got it solved just by removing the battery and putting it back in again. I just think it's weird it happens at the same time.

These issues are very sudden since I have not done anything special with the computer. When I left for work yesterday, everything was perfectly normal, but when I came back, turned it on and then shut it down to go to sleep, I had this problem.

I'm not a pro with computers, so I'm kind of starting to run out of ideas. This issue seems frequent with Windows 8 and Windows 8.1, but there doesn't seem to be a universal solution for it. I'd rather not restore completely the computer if possible, espescially if I'm not sure it'll solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much!

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
Right click on the battery icon in system tray, click on "power options".
Click on "Choose what the power buttons do".
Click on "Change settings that are currently unavailable", if Windows asks for a password, enter the password.
Uncheck "Turn on fast startup (recommended)", click "Save changes".
Restart the computer.

Nessnouile

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015

Unfortunately, I have already tried that and it does not work. The computer still refuses to shut down, restart or even go into sleep mode normally.

Lumia925

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
Uninstal, the graphics driver from device manager, restart the computer, get the latest graphics driver from Toshiba website, and install it, check after installation completes. Graphics drivers are known to cause these issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.