Toshiba's Reveals New 2.5" 7,200 RPM SED

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
this is all cool & all but what happens when these drives have to go into a PC repair shop to get spyware & viruses removed from them. I ask because most of the time hard drives have to be removed from their host machine to be cleaned from an external computer that does a lot of the scans. If the drives are encrypted will they be readable from outside sources such as a scanning computer or will we need to get software from toshiba & soon to be followed by others to unlock the drives so they can be cleaned properly.

To those that say oh you don't need to remove a hard drive form the host machine have never had to work in the repair shop. Yes most can be cleaned from the host machine but there is at least 2 out of 10 machines that need the drive pulled. Those machines are normally the ones that the customer kept on using while it was infected right up until it either flat out refused to boot or refused to surf the internet because it had so many trojans that they took over Windows. (Gasp!!) lol

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
@ rocky123...

In those 2 of 10 cases you boot off of something else... actually in all 10 I would boot from something else like UBCD, Hiram's Boot Disk or any number of free rescue disks.

ALANMAN

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
[citation][nom]nicodemus_mm[/nom]@ rocky123...

In those 2 of 10 cases you boot off of something else... actually in all 10 I would boot from something else like UBCD, Hiram's Boot Disk or any number of free rescue disks.[/citation]

Seconded. I've never come across virus and spyware problems that couldn't be fixed by booting from freeware CD or USB utilities. Only useless drives are taken out of my repairs.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
i doubt the people buying these are doing to be the type to get viruses on thier systems... this would be more for data you want secure and unreadable if somebody get ahold of the actual data and at 2.5" probably for laptop use laptop gets stolen and they can't get the data off the types of data not beingextracted is priobably worth signifigantly more than the laptop that is stolen so its a smaller loss

G

we use guardian edge software encryption at my company and every time there is an issue the drive has to be decrypted first before we can work on it. its a pain in the arse. If you boot the system up using BartPE or Hirams boot disk, you wouldnt be able to access the drive since the encryption is still in place.

what kills me is that though i understand it its a pain to work with, but when a system has a MBR error, you cannot use windows repair cmds to fix the MBR since the windows MBR is backed up and replaced by a Guardian Edge MBR. I spend alot of time decrypting just to fix the MBR, which is funny casue when the decrypt is done, it has replaced its MBR with the original windows and the machine will then boot. like i said.. its a pain

superblahman123

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]i doubt the people buying these are doing to be the type to get viruses on thier systems... [/citation]

Agreed, if someone dips into buying a SED, it's going to be someone that has an issue or concern with local security. I would assume that most machines sporting this will be on closed systems. This drive could be great for holding onto encrypted backups if they can get the right amount of storage out of them. They should take a page from this drive and try to replicate the encryption controller onto an SSD, then we'll really be talking.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
[citation][nom]rocky1234[/nom]this is all cool & all but what happens when these drives have to go into a PC repair shop to get spyware & viruses removed from them. I ask because most of the time hard drives have to be removed from their host machine to be cleaned from an external computer that does a lot of the scans. If the drives are encrypted will they be readable from outside sources such as a scanning computer or will we need to get software from toshiba & soon to be followed by others to unlock the drives so they can be cleaned properly.To those that say oh you don't need to remove a hard drive form the host machine have never had to work in the repair shop. Yes most can be cleaned from the host machine but there is at least 2 out of 10 machines that need the drive pulled. Those machines are normally the ones that the customer kept on using while it was infected right up until it either flat out refused to boot or refused to surf the internet because it had so many trojans that they took over Windows. (Gasp!!) lol[/citation]

i highly doubt that people purchasing these drives are end users who simply check their email, play a few games, and surf a few pages. i'm sure 99% of the people who buy these drives are from an enterprise who have their own IT departments who are smart enough to backup the keys, or security enthusiasts, which are again, able to do the repairs themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.