Question TOSLINK Optical Cable Not Connecting

LapisLee

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
I removed a 3' TOSLINK optical cable from the Digital Audio Out (Optical) port on the back of my Phillips 55PFL5601 HDTV then immediately attempted to plug a new 6' optical cable into the same port moments later but it will not fit. I notice there is a small metal strip that appears to be blocking the cable, but I am not sure if that strip should be there, if it is aligned correctly or how to get my home theater system working again. Yes, I did remove the tiny rubber cap pieces from the new cable.
1zgygiv.jpg

2zofd3q.jpg

Looks to me, the TV's jack has a stump that's blocking the light (careful about looking at this light directly, look at it sideways and not too long) use a small flat screwdriver in the attempt to move this stump out of the way. U may have to use a small plier to twist the stump off.

Normally an optical jack will have a plastic flap to cover the light and the TV's flap seems to have fallen off and the stump left, is in the way. Look at the jack on the other side to see what this flap looks like.

LapisLee

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Looks to me, the TV's jack has a stump that's blocking the light (careful about looking at this light directly, look at it sideways and not too long) use a small flat screwdriver in the attempt to move this stump out of the way. U may have to use a small plier to twist the stump off.

Normally an optical jack will have a plastic flap to cover the light and the TV's flap seems to have fallen off and the stump left, is in the way. Look at the jack on the other side to see what this flap looks like.
That's exactly what I am thinking too, but I didn't want to remove the metal piece until I was sure that the contact should be light to light. I am not sure where the plastic cover piece went to. Neither end of either cable will plug into the port.