Question Total Commander

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Having difficulty updating files. I have an excel sheet on a memory stick and when I try to use total Commander I get a red X against the hard disk version. Neither of these are open and in use. Total Commander will not tell me the reason for this. The attributes are just showing the a and there is no write protect on the hard disk version.

I need a way of updating files and this software was recommended to me. Sometime it works when I pick the file in both panels and both turn red.

UPDATE: I have made 4 changes to 4 excel documents. It will not update the hard disk files. I have to skip over all of them.

Last edited:
I did not realize Total Commander was still around. I have not looked at it in 20 years.

I use Excel about 1000 hours per year without issues.

I'm not clear on why you would need Total Commander AT ALL to use or update Excel files.

Can you go into detail about what you are trying to do and why you feel you need Total Commander rather than Windows own file manager.

Reactions: Dean0919

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I have to work on lots of Word documents and spread sheets and I didn't want to find myself working on an old copy so I need some synchronisation between a memory stick and the files on a computer hard disk. If there is any better software for this then I would like to know. Total Command is still going. Currently Version 10, June 2021.

I can not use Windows file manager to sync between a hard disk and a USB memory drive.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 14196

Maybe it is a file protection issue in windows? Like a permissions issue I would think maybe?

I use it all the time and have for years and have never experienced this problem once can you post a screenshot of when it errors out on you?

Try running it as administrator and see if the synchronization works for you then

Also if you email the contact at that website I believe the developer will help you out to get it to work

TRENDING THREADS