Total freeze needing a reboot when playing graphically challenging games

Aug 17, 2018
Mobo: ASUS z87-c
CPU: intel i5 4670k base clock
GPU: gtx 680
RAM: 16gb 1600mhz ddr3 Corsair vengeance
PSU: Corsair 550w
Heat sink: Thermalright macho Rev b

Hi all, I’ve just built my new system and am experiencing issues when trying to play games such as miscreated or the forest, the game run fine at 60fps and my temps are sweet, playing the forest with my cpu @ 50 and gpu @ 65 - 70 degrees but then it will just hard freeze and I have to reboot. If I take out one stick of RAM the freezes will happen more frequently and even downloads or chrome can cause it to crash, this is the same for either RAM stick I use so both seem equally fine. I was worried my system wasnt drawing enough power from the power supply but if removing a RAM stick has a negative impact on it I don’t think that would be the case. I have all correct drivers as far as i am aware and up to date and am fairly confident the gpu is fully functional as it came out of a close friends system weeks ago.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I am dying to get into pc gaming and am so close now it hurts.

Assuming you have the latest bios and chipset drivers installed, test each stick of ram with memtest86+

Aug 17, 2018

I’ve used RAM that I know works as it is fully functional in another system to test on mine, so I switched them out but still had the problem. I have done the same for a gpu and tried another one In the system but still get the crash.