Total Freeze when playing high-graphics games.

vintorez

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
Had a problem crop up a few weeks ago where my computer will completely freeze when playing a graphically demanding game such as Overwatch. Usually it will happen within 15 minutes, but can sometimes take over an hour of play before the problem occurs.

The system freezes entirely, as if everything is just paused. No warning signs/sounds, mouse and keyboard inputs do nothing but any images remain on screen.

I've had this occur with hardware monitors on my second monitor, everything staying under 70C.
Replaced the PSU
I've updated and reinstalled drivers, using DDU for the graphics drivers.
I've run MemTest86, no errors. Also ran dskchk with no errors.
Updated BIOS to latest version last year. No new updates have since come out. Also reset BIOS to default settings.

Specs:
i7-3820 CPU, liquid cooled
GA-X79-UP4 Mobo
Gigabyte GTX 1070 - Exact Link: https://tinyurl.com/y9k4z63j
16g RAM, Kingston DDR3
Corsair 750M PSU

Currently I'm installing an older graphics driver to see if it's an issue with the latest drivers, rolling back to 382.53. Unfortunately it is late and work comes early so I won't have time to test it or anything else tonight. Appreciate any help and suggestions, this is driving me up the wall.

Solution

Greasy Pommel

Reputable
Dec 12, 2015

Hi, I'm familiar with the frustration you're experiencing. Did this start happening in only Overwatch or did it start happening in other games as well? Sometimes game updates can cause these sorts of freezing issues at random times. Have you installed any Windows updates recently or changed any system settings or services? Those can cause occasional freezing as well.

My guess is that a fresh installation of Windows will solve the issue, however that is time consuming so it's probably the last solution you'd want to try.

Solution