Total Noob Raid 1 advice needed

Celwyddog

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
Hi

I'm building a new system (first time) with a 64Gig Crucial SSD o/s boot drive and a 1TB WD Caviar Black Data Drive.

At some point in the new year (when I can afford it) I'll be wanting to buy another Caviar to mirror the first.

Although I know I will have to copy the entire existing data drive and reformat it to set it up, then recopy the data back my question is... Can the Raid1 be set up only on the data drives and completly exclude the SSD o/s drive? or if not, how do you set up Raid1 on an existing config as I will have.

In case it helps, motherboard is ASUS P6X58D-E - Intel X58 - Socket 1366 - PCI-E 2.0 (x16) - DDR3 2000 (OC) - 3 x PCIe 2.0 - 3-Way SLI - SATA 6Gb/s - SATA RAID - ATX

Cheers

NetworkStorageTips

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
Most RAID controllers allow you to duplicate an existing data disk, AFAIK. That said, ALWAYS backup your data first (online backup would be fine)

A NAS device would be nice then you don't have to screw around with RAID on a workstation. Sometimes it works OK, but often is a headache - plus you can get to the limits of your power supply running extra hard drives (depending on the PSU you have installed).

Best,
Roger.