Question Total Shutdown after 5mins

Jul 23, 2019
Hi Everyone,

I'm new here, so I hope I'm posting in the right section.

The story:
I've an old (but she's been serving me well all these years) Toshiba Satellite L850-F33B.
SPECS:
Core i7-3610QM 2.3Ghz, Quad Core with HT
12Gb RAM
AMD Radeon HD7600M

Other Software:
Usual stuff, VLC, uTorrent, GIMP, MS Office (yuck but oh well) Photoshop etc etc...

My Question:
I don't play serious games... I like the occasional Cities Skylines, Cities XXL, Tropico etc.
I was ALWAYS able to play these games with no hassle , even on my old notebook, sometimes I didn't even need to scale down the graphics...

A month ago I installed a Kingston 240GB SSD, my notebook suddenly started getting kind of hot and the fan would blow at full speed sometimes for an hour.
I also found that when playing games (which obviously uses more processing power) it would just switch off after like 5 minutes or so. Just BOOM, off...

I have to mention that I also besides the SSD, removed my DVD Writer (No one uses them anymore) and bought a SATA frame, so I put my old SATA HDD in there.
SO: OS is on SSD, old HDD is Data Drive, I install games on the SSD obviously, faster reading speed.

This overheating problem started after I installed the SSD... Could it be that? Maybe a BIOS firmware upgrade, if I can even find one for my notebook... (She is old, but I've never had issues playing the NON graphic intense games I do)...

What is my options, my thoughts are to revert back to previous setup, SATA HDD back, 2nd HDD out... see what happens...
Fresh installation?? on Both SATA and SSD (I would HATE to lose the SSD because it, as we all know, improves speed incredibly)

I also have to note, I cloned the SATA to the SSD, everyone hates installing from fresh.... So , that might also be an option...

I've been in IT a LONG time, so my knowledge tells me (I've fanned out and replaced CPU paste etc.) it HAS to be the SSD, it's the only common denominator in this scenario.... I could play Cities Skylines on FULL graphics for HOURS, no problem, now I cant even play for 10 minutes , boom, power down...

Thank you in advance for any assistance...

Thanks everyone,
Shanick

Reactions: panos4508

Feren142

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Hey,

It sounds like your computer is shutting off due to one of the thermal sensors reading a potentially dangerous temperature which would prompt the computer to shutdown immediately.

Jul 23, 2019
You could always try out Libre Office...

Joking aside have you double checked connections? It seems a bit coincidental the issue arises since you installed an SSD to it. (That's all I've got.)
I thought as much, might be coincidence that the problem rose just at the same time as I installed the SSD.

Thanks for your reply.

Jul 23, 2019
Hey,

It sounds like your computer is shutting off due to one of the thermal sensors reading a potentially dangerous temperature which would prompt the computer to shutdown immediately.
Hhhhmmmmm, that could be problematic yes. I've given it the ol clean out and new CPU paste...
Could be hardware problem, old age...

Thanks for the reply.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Have you repplied the themral paste yourself? You might have not applied it properly. Have you monitored temps when idle and under load like gaming?

You can use GPU-Z or HWiNFO to monitor temperatures of CPU and GPU when gaming and see what kind of temps you get.

Jan 22, 2019
I had this issue...uh so your power supply may need replacement or it may be an overheating issue try to clean your pc too(VERY CAREFULLY) it may be dust under the power supply for example under my power supply there's a dust filter and it gets loads of dust but some manages to get in the power supply tho be careful when cleaning it

Jul 23, 2019
I had this issue...uh so your power supply may need replacement or it may be an overheating issue try to clean your pc too(VERY CAREFULLY) it may be dust under the power supply for example under my power supply there's a dust filter and it gets loads of dust but some manages to get in the power supply tho be careful when cleaning it

Thanks for that, I actually did blow out the notebook and replaced the CPU paste etc. I've an idea the problem is elsewhere. Heatsink or maybe the GPU itself since it shuts down mostly when playing a game, which uses more processing power.

Idle Temp is above 60%, which is not good.